Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Eagle Stamp on G B listed Krag (Read 2873 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Eagle Stamp on G B listed Krag
Sep 1st, 2015 at 4:43am
Print Post  
I don't believe I have seen this 'Mark' on a Krag Stock before (but, I've seen it somewhere).

I believe it is an 'Eagle and JG or J16'. It vaguely reminds me of eagle inspector marks I have seen on some U.S. WW1 arms, like Model 1917 Enfields.

I happened to notice it in a photo of a Model 1898 Krag (with a correct 'J.S.A. 1899 Stock Cartouche' on GunBroker).

Is anyone familiar with this 'Mark'?
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2015 at 4:50pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Eagle Stamp on G B listed Krag
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I no longer have a U.S. Model 1917 Rifle (Enfield) to directly examine. However, one of my reference books (on U.S. Enfields) illustrates an inspection mark that appears very much like the one on the "GB - model 1898 Krag" stock.

This suggests to me that this particular Krag underwent some type of inspection, circa 1917, and was 'so marked'.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Example of 1917 Eddystone inspection mark - Similar to the mark on the model 1898 Krag, but, located behind trigger guard. Eagle is reversed from example on the Krag.

The Krag in question was built in 1899 per its serial number and has an 1899  acceptance cartouche on the stock. There is a 1901 rear sight (damaged, with the knob sheared off). There is nothing peculiar about the Krag, except this unusual (to me at least) 'eagle stamp', on the Stock in front of the trigger-guard.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I cannot recall ever seeing that mark before, but then I have next to zero experience with M17 Enfields, where it may be well-known.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I have seen these eagles on 1917's and the 1917's also had some of the staked screws like the one that is on this Krag.  Is it possible that this Krag was inspected for some special, project during WWI? Maybe some comparative testing at one of the production facilities?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
'olderthansome' - The screws are not 'staked' on the Krag. You are confused by the 1917 Eddystone picture, that I posted to show a comparison of the two stamps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint