Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
us krag acceracy load (Read 2336 times)
carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

us krag acceracy load
Sep 5th, 2015 at 2:47am
Print Post  
hi from Carbon Outlaw...i have been out to the range quite a bit this summer...I have been working out a accuracy load using 180 grain bullets ....what i have found is IMR 4064 power gives me the most consistent groups...i ran out of !80 grain bullets so i loaded up with 110 grain hollow point with 44 grains of 4064 and got the best group I have ever shot...should not work but it dose...also they punch nice round holes in the target....

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: us krag acceracy load
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Not too shabby!  There are actually a lot of guys shooting 110 grain loads in competitions. Looks like you'll be a force to be reckoned with...

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
That horizontal spread makes me think that sunlight on your front sight is keeping the group from being even tighter.  Would one of those snap-on front sight hoods for an 03 fit?  Would it be kosher if it fit?

Back in the day, before there were all sorts of custom bullets, handloaders used to use jacketed bullets intended for the .32-20 in Krags with pretty good results.  The old 32-20 bullets ran a bit fat, but they had soft lead cores and swaged down to groove diameter on the way down the barrel.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
As for sunlight glistening on the front sight, there is a blackening spray that many competitive shooters use which is perfectly legal under CMP rules.  Another trick is to blacken the sight with soot from a candle (they make a lighter/candle device for this purpose, which uses lighter fluid).  I blackened my sight at Camp Perry this year for the first time.  I don't know if it helped me... but other shooters say it makes all the difference in the world!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint