Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Carbine - Need Opinions (Read 4147 times)
Ranger O
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Carbine - Need Opinions
Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I just recently purchased my first Krag SN 31553 (see attached photos).  I had been searching for an early Model 1896 carbine of Spanish American War vintage mindful of the numerous cut-downs and fakes that are out there.   I followed the advice posted on this forum and elsewhere – I studied Joe Poyer’s book and I handled and examine several Krags before I made the purchase but I would still like to get a second opinion from you guys who are much more knowledgeable than me.  So my questions are:
1.      Does this appear to be a legit carbine?
2.      What if anything is the significance of the “15” and “PG” crudely carved into the receiver metal?  I assume that it is the work of some mindless idiot but I am not 100% sure.
3.      Regarding No. 2, would you recommend trying to somehow re-finish or polish this out of the metal?
I checked with Springfield Research Service and nothing came up for my Serial Number.   Any additional info would be appreciated.  Thanks,
Ranger O   

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Carbine - Need Opinions
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Real carbine. Just live with the engraving.

IP Logged

Ranger O
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Thanks 98src. 

Any estimate on a range of value? I have heard $1,500 to $3,000 for legit carbines.    Bore is clean, rifling is visible but worn, action is smooth.

Also, if I were to take it to the range and fire a few rounds on a rare occasion what mfgr/type ammo would you recommend to minimize damage potential?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!!!  Beware, they tend to multiply...

Nice looking carbine!  Take her out and shoot her... Krags were meant to be enjoyed!  I'm no expert with regards to value, so I'll let someone else speak to that... but I know that true 1898 carbines are the most valuable and command the highest prices.  As for the metal finish, it's consistent and even, as it should look. 

With regards to ammo, most of us who shoot regularly reload because of the cost of factory ammo.  However, if you are just looking for a factory load because you don't plan on shooting that much, Remington or Winchester ammo is good to go (bullet is a 180 grain spitzer).  Loaded well within acceptable pressure range and fairly accurate, it's what most start with.  Save your brass! A box of 20 rounds will usually run you upwards of $35.00 or more (You may want to reload in the future).

IP Logged

Ranger O
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks Paul

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
'Ranger O':  Welcome to the KCA Forum. That is a nice looking model 1896 carbine. Does it still have the correct 1896 carbine rear-sight on it (graduated to 20, 2,000yards, with a "c" on the leaf)?

The 1896 carbine sights seem to sell for around $500. Carbine sights have often been replaced by scoundrels with the common rifle version, that is graduated to only 18 (1,800 yards).

A correct model 1896 carbine will routinely bring $1,200 to $2,500 depending on condition and overall appeal. The scratches on your receiver are a serious blemish.

IP Logged

Ranger O
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.  Yes, it does appear to have an original carbine sight based on your description.  I have attached a photo with a top view of the rear sight.  If you blow it up a bit you can see that it is graduated up to 20 (2,000) with a "C" directly above the "19" on the upper right.  Surprised to find out the value of the sight is up to $500 - thanks again.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2015 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Ranger O - Yes, that's an entirely correct model 1896 Krag carbine.

I would 'guestimate' the value of your carbine at around $1,500.  The 'scribed' markings on your receiver could possibly be a Police evidence number? (They do barbaric things like that to guns taken in 'custody').

There is a 'silver lining' to that Blemish. The harm is done! You do not have to feel guilty shooting and enjoying your nice carbine. With normal care and proper loads, you will not cause harm or decrease its value. It's a nice honest carbine and not a 'Safe Queen'.

I wouldn't mind owning and using it!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
+1 on that!  Shoot her!

IP Logged

TopDean
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 5:29am
Print Post  
nice looking 96, I have one I am working to restore, and need many parts to bring her back. Have you check your front site blade it should also have a C stamped and it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint