Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Brass Availability? (Read 7418 times)
JR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Brass Availability?
Sep 26th, 2015 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Anyone know who may have 30-40 brass available?  Ive tried the usual places, Midway, Graff, Midsouth, Brownells, Powder Valley, Buffalo, etc and all are out of stock...

Think it was Buffalo Arms listed as discontinued...sure hope WW isn't dropping the line as I really like their brass...

Thanks...

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Brass Availability?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
I believe it is a seasonal thing with 30-40 brass.  I've heard of others on another forum talking about making brass from .303, but I believe that is unnecessary.  30-40 brass should become available this winter... and there is usually once-fired available on Gunbroker and EBay.  Another route you could go would be to get some Remington or Winchester factory ammo... and once you've shot it, save the brass and you'll replenish your stock.

IP Logged

JR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2015 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks psteinmayer ,
That's what I presumed also.  Ive about 50 cases that should tide me over until they start production again. 
Appreciate the reply.

IP Logged

RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2015 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Several months ago I e-mailed Winchester and asked about ammo, reply said it was on the list for a seasonal run this fall but no date set for production. If in dire need a company called HMS sells custom ammo loaded in new R-P brass and will ship.  Even with shipping (assuming you buy more than a box or two) it was cheaper than I could find it for locally.

IP Logged

shuvelrider
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
I just saw a stack of Rem ammo this morning at my LGS, at $40 a box. I traded some .223 ammo for two boxes of 30-40 to go with the Krag I left his store with.  That is here in Muskegon Michigan.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
No more Krag brass?  My Hepburn in .40-70 Sharps Straight uses Krag cases reformed & stretched.  But now Hornady is making something like a .405 Winchester in some sort of basic length.  If Krag brass can be stretched, the Hornady basic stuff can be necked down & trimmed.

2 days ago, I saw a Lee-Enfield that had been converted to .223.  The owner/builder said mainly it was just a technical challenge, but was done also because of ammo availability.  Discounting action strength, could you do that with a Krag?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 12:03am
Print Post  
A little over a year ago I got 300 30/40 Remington cases from Graf's. This was after Sinclairs canceled an order and said Remington had discontinued 30/40.
Just hang in there and keep checking.
One of these days I will get the 25/06 that I have been chasing.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 1:25am
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 10:54pm:
No more Krag brass?  My Hepburn in .40-70 Sharps Straight uses Krag cases reformed & stretched.  But now Hornady is making something like a .405 Winchester in some sort of basic length.  If Krag brass can be stretched, the Hornady basic stuff can be necked down & trimmed.

2 days ago, I saw a Lee-Enfield that had been converted to .223.  The owner/builder said mainly it was just a technical challenge, but was done also because of ammo availability.  Discounting action strength, could you do that with a Krag?

Several gunsmiths made high-grade (single-shot) Krag varmint rifles, back in the 50s-60s, often in 'wildcat' calibers such as the .219 Donaldson Wasp, .22 K-Hornet, etc. With a really light bullet, you can obtain decent velocities at Krag pressures. I'd think that with today's more sophisticated powders one could do even better.

IP Logged

rjc324
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 3:02am
Print Post  
There is a facebook group called "The Brass Bank" which has had several offerings of once fired Krag brass for a reasonable amout. Picked up 45+ WW cases for about $18.00 a month ago. Just a suggestion of where to look.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I just requested to join The Brass Bank.  I think a friend of mine from my former job is a member of that group... and that's where I got 50 rounds of once fired Krag brass last year.  We'll see if they except me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Paul: It is easier to get "Excepted" than be "Accepted"! Regards - Chuck

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
LOL OOPS!

IP Logged

JR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Contacted Remington and they advised factory running full speed producing regular ammo...expect 3rd quarter or later for 30-40 brass..
I ordered 4 boxes of PCI factory loaded ammo from Graff at about $36 a box...That will work for now.. Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
That's what I did this past December.  I found a place in Gettysburg that had a stack of Remington so I bought a few boxes.  Then as I was making a second pass through the store I saw they had a few boxes of Winchester 30-40 so I bought two boxes.  I don't have any Winchester and wanted to see how it shot compared to Remington.

I figured out that loaded ammo is my best shot at finding brass as expensive as that is.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I do prefer Winchester brass to the Remington.  It's much brighter and cleans up nicely... however Remington is much more available and plentiful.  I have 3 boxes of Remington ammo that I may shoot up this spring just to claim the brass (some of my current stock of around 400 is getting very long in the tooth with more than ten... and in some cases 20 loadings on them)!  Maybe I'll hit Cabelas and get a few more factory load boxes while I'm at it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint