Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Another request for info on inherited Krag (Read 3088 times)
Keith
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Another request for info on inherited Krag
Dec 17th, 2015 at 2:16am
Print Post  
I am amazed at how much information is available on this site.  I found it while researching information on a recently inherited 1896 Springfield Krag rifle (87467).  It belonged to my father who brought it back at the end of  WWII from the Philippines where he served as a Marine pilot.  I believe it is possible/probable that the rifle remained in the Philippines after the Philippine war.  The rifle has not seen use or maintenance since 1945 and needs some attention.  Both the wood and metal need cleaning and the minor surface rust removed.  I am unsure how to proceed with stabilizing it. I did clean the bore and found it to be pristine as best I could tell.  The middle stock band is missing as are the cleaning rod/oiler.  I will include pictures and will appreciate any information anyone can provide.  My thanks and appreciation in advance.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Another request for info on inherited Krag
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:22am
Print Post  
'Keith' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

That's a nice model 1896 Krag that your father has passed on to you.

It does not appear in the Springfield Research Services (SRS) records listed in my copy of Mallory's, "The Krag Rifle Story", (but, most Krag serial numbers are not).

Your Krag was assembled around February, 1898, near the time the U.S.S. Maine was sunk.

A good bore is a real plus on a Krag! Check your Stock on the left side near the wrist for an 'Acceptance Cartouche'. This is a lightly stamped 'box' with rounded corners and the script initials "JSA" (James Sumner Adams) and a year (probably 1898). This stamp was put on a Krag when inspected and accepted for service. There should also be a 'circled script P' on the stock, behind the trigger-guard. This signifies the rifle was proofed and function tested. (If these stamps are absent, it is generally accepted that the stock was replaced).

A rear barrel-band & swivel is easily found for around $25 on eBay. Your rifle has a 1903 Springfield front-band, which is incorrect. A Krag front barrel-band & stacking-swivel costs about $65. You need a hand-guard for the model 1896 sight. Originals sell for about $100. Reproductions are made, but, not so good.

I would suggest you contact one of the gentlemen listed in this forum's 'classifieds' and see if they can sell you the correct parts and in a condition consistent with your rifle's.

Be careful in cleaning your Krag. Educate yourself on proper disassembly. Just clean the wood with a mix of turpentine & linseed oil applied with cotton rags. Finish up with hand rubbed applications of linseed oil or Tung oil.

Metal parts can be cleaned with kerosene on rags or Hoppe's #9 solvent. Do not remove patina and finish. Light surface rust can be smoothed with solvent and the edge of a copper penny or #0000 steel wool pad soaked with Hoppe's. Krags were not finished like more modern arms. Educate yourself, go slow, and do no Harm!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Keith - I posted some pictures of a pristine Model 1898 Krag. This shows stamps & details I mentioned and the subtle colors and finish that a Krag had when it left Springfield Armory.

Caution - A veteran Krag with 'wear & tear' will not and should not look 'new'. It will have patina and a fading of some finish colors and case-hardening. The goal is to halt rust and preserve wood and metal.

In point of fact, your Krag appears in rather nice condition (wood and metal). Worst areas of rust, seem to be bolt handle and body (these were finished bright metal - no finish) and the 1903 front-band (incorrect - replace).

IP Logged

Keith
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Butlersrangers THANKS!  I am overwhelmed with the willingness of members here to share your rich store of knowledge!  I appreciate both the information and the advice regarding methods to restore and stabilize my rifle.  I look forward to enjoying this rifle for many years.  Attached is an image of the stock just behind the trigger guard. I found no markings on the side of the stock in the wrist region.

IP Logged

Keith
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 3:39am
Print Post  
I have not yet fully investigated all the resources available here so I would appreciate some guidance.  Where is a source to help me be able to recognize the correct front-band and hand-guard for the model 1896 sight?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Keith - If there is no 'acceptance cartouche' on your Stock, it is likely it was replaced during an 'overhaul' (pretty common event). Since your Stock has the 'circled script P', it is likely the replacement was done at a U.S. Armory and the arm was re-proofed and checked for function. The little letters on the Stock, between the trigger-guard and 'circle P', are probably sub-inspector initials. (There was no need for an 'acceptance cartouche' since the arm had already been accepted into service). Stocks replaced in the field are believed to lack the 'cartouche' and 'circled P', but, will have the little sub-inspector initials or number.

The light rust on your trigger-guard appears like it can easily be lifted and removed, with Hoppe's #9 solvent and a penny or #0000 steel wool, leaving a nice brown patina.

Since your model 1896 Krag is a late one, it uses the same front barrel-band as the model 1898. Note - it may be necessary to remove the blade from your front-sight base to put the front band on and take it off. The model 1896 blade is shorter than most model 1898 blades, so maybe it will clear. If removal is necessary, the small sight pin is tapered and driven left to right for removal. The screws and swivel on your 1903 front-band will work with a Krag front-band

I am attaching several pictures of model 1898 front-bands. I am also attaching a picture of the various Krag hand-guards from the KCA Website. (You need the 2nd hand-guard from the left).

This and other interesting photos can be viewed by 'clicking on' the 'photos' tab of the KCA Website main page. Lots of good stuff available through the Main Page that can be reached by 'clicking on' - "news: Visit the 'KCA Website' today!" - as the Banner moves at the top of this page.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2015 at 4:10pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint