Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 1899 Remington Lee (Read 14708 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1899 Remington Lee
Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Saw one on Gunbroker this AM; would post number but GB is acting up right now and will not perform a search.

Bad news, stock has been cut, and hand-guard is missing.

Good news, everything else (except upper band/tip bits) appears to be there, and barrel has not been cut! Lower band still there, so stock can be stretched.

Further good news, it is cheap, and has no reserve. Possible project piece for someone with more time than immediate money.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
You've 'smoked me out' Dick!

I have been watching that one for months. I have been tempted. The description of the bore is not too promising: "dark, strong rifling", (whatever that means).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
32nd Michigan (MNG) - Grand Rapids, circa 1900.

"We've got the special Mills Belts ... We've got the Bayonets ... Where are our Remington - Lees" !

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Sorry Chuck, didn't mean to divulge anyone's secret.   Sad

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 2:15am
Print Post  
There were earlier Remington-Lee rifles in .45-70 and some in .43 Spanish.  They are not common, but are probably more common than the 1899 models.  Might the wood & hardware be similar?  Or, since one of us might be doing a 50-50 restoration, how about parts from a Lee-Metford?

Dark, strong rifling?  I have an 1886 Portuguese Kropatschek in 8x60R and a Siamese Mauser 8x50R that would fit that description.  Jacketed bullets only, and maybe 3 to 4" groups at 100 yards at best.  Paper plate accuracy.

Or might the forearm wood & bands from a No. 5 Remington Rolling Block (one of the 7mm jobs) fit (+/-).  Those were in production around the same time.  I'm willing to bet that Remington did not make special parts just for the few 1899 rifles they sold.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Dang, 'reincarnated', you read my mind and anticipated my scheme! I've been looking at gun shows for a spare No. 5 forearm, nose-cap, and rod.

The Remington-Lee (model 1899) and No. 5 Rolling Block use the same bayonet.

(Well, I am not exactly jumping to tie up $700 in 'project parts'!)

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 7:58am
Print Post  
I have an 1885 Rem-Lee Navy - one of the 280 issued to the California Naval Battalion, as described in Gene's book. Can take any measurements you wish/need. The barrel channel will be way too big, of course. I was thinking more of using a Krag stretcher piece.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
The Remington-Lee tool is relatively common and also works with the No. 5 Rolling-Block.

The nose-cap for the Rem-Lee and R-B seem identical and also possibly the 'cleaning rod'. I don't know if the R-B forearm is long enough to patch a Remington-Lee 'cut-down'.

(Note - Remington barrel-bands have "U" on left-side, contrary to U.S. Armory practice).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
The Remington-Lee and #5 Rolling-Block hand-guards, rear barrel-bands, and sights are clearly different.

I laid a tape measure alongside my #5 Rolling-Block forearm, but, do not have an 1899 Remington-Lee to compare dimensions.

FWIW - My Rolling-Block measures 19 3/16 inches from forearm 'shoulder' for rear barrel-band to muzzle. My photo makes it look a bit longer - illusion.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2016 at 7:47pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #24 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:35am
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 8:51pm:
I would love to borrow an A3 from you Paul.... IF you WERE here!  I looked at Gunbroker, but they are all way out of my price reach.  I had a chance to get a Smith Corona or Remington (there were several) at Camp Perry during Nationals week last year, but I didn't have the money and passed.  Then, this last July, they didn't have any.  I'm looking to keep it under a thousand.  I know a guy who has several to sell, but they are all repaired parade rifles that had had the magazine cutoffs welded (he fixes them to working order).  Legal for CMP use, but not appealing to me.  I'll keep my ears to the ground though...

In other news I may just have a 1903A3 for you to shoot at Perry.  Number one son is getting hitched in June and I am going to be there for that.  Can make the trade off then.  You'll have about a month to work up loads and get used to the old boy.

I'll get it back from you on the next trip across the duck pond after that.  That should get you about six months of good shooting in.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint