Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Member - 1898 Question(s) (Read 1364 times)
pooletx
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Member - 1898 Question(s)
Jan 12th, 2016 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Thank you for admitting me to the forum, I appreciate it!
I have a Model 1898 Krag that I inherited from family about 40 years ago.  Great rifle, tack driver.  But...I am a little confused on the configuration.  Meaning, it appears that the barrel is 24" and it's neither the carbine or the typical rifle model.  I have no provenance or other real info, other than I believe from the serial number it was made in 1903.  Has anyone seen a Krag like this on before?  I'll include pics, one of which is the front sight, someone please tell me this rifle hasn't been cut down, which has been a fear of mine for some time. 
Thank you!
John

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member - 1898 Question(s)
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 3:29am
Print Post  
"pooletx" - Welcome to the KCA Forum and good job of posting meaningful pictures.

You are correct that your Family Krag was built in early 1903, approximately Feb. or March.

Your suspicions are also correct. Your Krag  barrel was shortened from 30 inches and the front sight was remounted. Springfield Armory did a much neater job of contouring and brazing the base to the barrel.

Someone in your family needed a handy rifle for 'Hunting' and shortened the Stock and barrel.

Note - Your barrel band is missing its sling-swivel and the "U" marking should be on the right-side of the rifle.

You have a Krag 'Sporter' that shoots accurately and probably served your family well. There's dignity in that. Enjoy your heirloom.

IP Logged

pooletx
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member - 1898 Question(s)
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
"butlersrangers", i appreciate the information.  while not a collectible piece, it's the one that will never leave my collection.  thank you again for the information!
john

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint