Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
How do I adj windage on my krag (Read 4807 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

How do I adj windage on my krag
Feb 15th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I've picked up a frankenkrag carbine that resembles a NRA carbine but I dont think it is the real deal. Its got a good bore and blueing and the stock is original finish but has a few issues. The cut down stock is cartouched 1901 and the recvr is 1898. My question is how can I adj my windage as it is shooting left and my rear sight only has elevation. My only thought would be to shim the side of the rear sight. I've successfully done that on a 1973 tang sight. My photos are not downloading so I need to take some others. I will take new ones this week to post.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: How do I adj windage on my krag
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
How much are you off at, say, 100 yds?

Shimming a tang sight is only viable because of the distance between the eyepiece and the pivot point, in that a very small shim will produce meaningful movement 2" up in the air. Shimming the rear sight base will have little to no effect, unless you are shooting at extreme range with the slide near the top of the leaf.

I would try slightly bending the front sight blade. A VERY small tweak will hardly be noticeable, yet will make a significant difference out at the target. Or, you could make up a new sight blade from thicker stock, filed into a 'lightning strike' Z profile, where it still looks "square" yet is set over a bit. Remember that the front sight wants to be moved OPPOSITE the direction you wish to bullets to move. Shoots left - offset the blade to the left.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Why not just swap rear sights for one with windage adjustments?  Or, since you don't think it is original, do your eyes a favor and find a "no drill" receiver sight.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
My first assorted loads were shot at steel so I don't really know exactly what they did. Today I only shot a handful between the rain at my 35 yd backstop. I'm trying a Trailboss load with my #311413 cast bullets. It didn't take many shots to get on target. I'm getting a good group but hitting 1 1/2 inches left. The rain will be gone later this week so I can get more range time in.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
You can't figure things out in the rain unless you remember to bring your raindrop deflection chart!  But for small tweeks, a little crescent wrench over the blade has worked for me.  I was pretty amazed at how far one could go without really noticing the front sight lean.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
If it resembles an NRA carbine does it have '03 Springfield type band front sight? If so can you drift the sight blade in the dove tail a bit?

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Good idea Ned, I'll give it a try.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Here's a photo of my frankenkrag. I'm still working on a load and am trying to get my offhand shooting skills back.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 7:08am
Print Post  
It is easier on both your wallet and your shoulder (and ears) if you use a .22 to work on your offhand skills.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2016 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Back in my youth, I was very good with my .22s and always shot offhand but over the years I have lost a lot and gotten lazy. I do like a red dot nowadays. But I like shooting my Krags with the sights that came on them. It's just something about shooting a piece of history. Guess that's why I like New Service, Webley and Hand Ejector revolvers, 1911s and now Krags. Shot a pair of 1892 Colt DAs at our cas club match last month.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint