Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Snap caps or training rounds? (Read 2977 times)
tenex
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Snap caps or training rounds?
Feb 16th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have a question. Is there anywhere you can purchase snap caps or inert training rounds for the .30-40? I am a competitive shooter and would love to shoot my Krag in Nostalgia matches and in order to not save rounds in the rapid fire stage I need to practice reloads. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Snap caps or training rounds?
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum!

I made some training rounds by loading brass I no longer used (very old US .30 brass I wouldn't trust live).  I removed the primers and filled the primer pocket with soft melt glue (gives the firing pin something to strike without risk of damage).  I then loaded with 220 gr RN bullets and painted the case necks black with ink to indicate that these are inert.  This is what I use for both practice, and testing for the chargers I make. 

If you're interested in shooting in Vintage Rifle Matches, there are several around the country, as well as The National Matches at Camp Perry (I shoot there every year).  There are several of us who would be more than happy to help you get started.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Another welcome!

I have purchased recently-made dummy rounds (holes drilled in case) with spitzer military bullets at local gunshows. Sold for less than $1 each, iirc. I think they were made by a local person.  They are satisfactory (at best). 

If you reload or has a friend who does, you can make your own. You need at least a neck sizing die and a bullet seating die that will crimp the case.  Just keep the fired primer in place, seat the bullet firmly, and crimp the bullet in place.  Back in the day, Winchester put a wood dowel in the case so that the bullet would not be pushed back into the case.  Drill some holes in the case (for safety, to avoid mixups and to satisfy the nanny-types) and polish.

If you can find some round-nosed military bullets, they would work best. 

Mr. Steinmayer's loaders work pretty well.

IP Logged

tenex
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Thanks all! I was hoping to avoid making my own but it seems that isn't going to happen. Mr. Steinmayer I've been to Perry a few times and was even awarded my Distinguished Riflemans badge On stage. There is a good chance we've run into each other😉 I've used M1's and Springfields for VMR matches in the past but it would be fun to bust out the ole Krag and blow some young minds😆 I apreaciate you both being so nice and willing to help! Guys like you are why all my friends are high power riflemen!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
No problem Tenex.  Incidentally, there are several of us who regularly shoot our Krags in vintage matches.  If you're interested in a couple chargers to help with the rapid loading of a Krag in the rapid fire string... just let me know, as I still make and sell them.  If you're near Michigan, I would be happy to make you some dummy rounds too, as I have some more old brass and some extra round nosed bullets (I don't think I can mail them even though they're inert).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint