Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Good News! (Read 11045 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Good News!
Mar 24th, 2016 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
The company I was with and I have parted company at their request so it looks like a greater chance I will be making it to Camp Perry this year.  Will be on the west side of the duck pond on Tuesday.

Having said all that I will be getting busy with my brass and sierra 220s I have squirreled away for this type of emergency.  I do have 185 lbs of rotometal linotype lying around too if that can be used to put bullets on target.

I have a bunch of IMR4895, varget, H110, 1680, 5744 and some 2400, 3031 and 4064 on hand.  What should I go with first?

And to take a quote from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  "Pardon me, but can you help a fellow American who is down on his luck?".  Any one got an extra job in their back pocket?  I am keen on a job as a janitor at a school for wayward girls if one is available. 
Cheesy

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Good News!
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
I'd go with jacketed if I were you.  I've tried cast in a few matches, works great for the first string, then accuracy deteriorates from there.  My last attempt was an 80rd match with my K31.  By the time I got to the end of that match, I had a heck of time getting my brass brush down the bore and the yellow brass was silver by the time I was done.  I was using babbitt bullets, a bit harder and tougher than lino. I therefore came to the conclusion that there was a reason those cast bullet benchrest shooters were cleaning their small artillery pieces after each string.  The majority of them are lino shooters too.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
If you are trying long strings of cast bullets, slow everything down.  Try reducing MV to something under 1500 fps.  Not as much fun, but maybe better results.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
That's one vote for Sierra.  I am of a similiar opinion.  Casting would be a new skill set and expense and I already have 85 percent of the tools needed for jacketed bullets.

Was sitting here going through the different bullet and powder sites for load data for 30-40 and other cartridges.  I don't recall having any 4350 in the "pile" so that will be on the list once I get back to the States.

Primers?  tens of pounds of WLR.  Powder? As stated. Brass?  Out the whazoo.  Bullets?  See: The whazoo.

Now I just have to get the 1895 from Turnbull's place and start working up loads. 

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Could be, I was working around 2000fps with an Eagan 168 that fits like OJs hand in that glove, real tight.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Shoot those sierra 220s with either 40.0 of 4350... or an appropriate load of the 3031. 

By the way...  GREAT NEWS!  Are you heading my way soon?  You can join me in some local matches to spruce up your trigger finger!  Looking forward to seeing you again bud!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 5:44am
Print Post  
I think I will heading northwest in a few weeks.  I have to drop off a case of .22LR to a guy west of you.  Will keep you informed.  Might be after the 1895 is ready.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Awesome!  Look forward to seeing you!!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 2:08am
Print Post  
If the two of you get your heads together, I'll bet you'd be able to come up with a box type charger for that 95.  A combination of  the back end of parashooter's krag design to get the right width for the rim, and that of a K31 charger, a couple examples of which I'll be sending to Paul soon, might work.  I'm not sure about the design of the 95, that'd be for you guys to figure out.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:00am
Print Post  
Ha!  Way ahead of you.  I have a couple of prototypes in my head.  The charger style would work if it was not a rimmed case so I am going a different direction.

Shocked

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
The Russian-contract 1895s had clip guides - perhaps you could fabricate and epoxy/silver-solder (so as to be removable) something like that, and I'll bet Russian stripper clips would take Krag rounds.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
That is true.  I have not seen a Russian Winchester up close  but I would think they modded the feed lips with cutouts for the rim to use the chargers.  Just a guess.

The CMP rules state the rifles must be as issued so I can not go with a charger style loading device.  Dang

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
You can not modify the rifle... but you can use a charger that does not modify the rifle!  We'll figure something out!!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I found a top view of a Russian here:  (You need to Login to view media files and links); I can see a modified parashooter design charger fitting right in there!  I don't know about the 30-40 feed lips, they'd about have to be similar to the Russians.  Here's a vid of Hickok loading 30-06, note he pushes the top round down with the head of the next round, then slides them back under the lips.  He may not be doing it right, those lips ought to expand a bit and one should be able to simply push a round down through them.  (You need to Login to view media files and links); If the 30-40 is like that, it's a major problem to overcome, but if they're like the Russian, you guys ought to be able to figure a way.  Here's an old illustration of the 95, it shows the rims stacked on top of each other, got to be a slot for those rims if that's the case or shorter rounds would be moving around, locking the rims.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
First rimmed 30-40 then 30-06

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Second showing loading 30-40

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The picture is nice but I think the reality is the rims are not rim to rim as drawned or like the chauchat but like the krag staggered one in front of the other.

No problem I think I have a fix for it. 

AND

An 1895 in 236 USN!  Now there is a rare gun.  I'm swooning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint