Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Not so good news (Read 3201 times)
reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Not so good news
Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
The not so good news on another Forum (ASSRA) that I frequent is that both Winchester and Remington have discontinued production of many cartridges except as loaded ammo.  These are mainly older rimmed cases including .30-40 Krag.  So there will be no more plastic bags of shiny new unfired empty brass.  This is more than a rumor.  Apparently Midway has confirmed.  Other calibers include the old WCF series; .25/20, .25/35, maybe .32 Special. Also .32/40 and maybe .38/55.

That means both your unfired brass and the OK fired empties just became a lot more valuable

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Not so good news
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Another opportunity for a foreign manufacturer?

I prefer that a U.S. manufacturer fill the void (or that it is just an unfounded rumor).

Hopefully, a company with decent products, like Prvi-Partizan, starts making .30-40 Brass. (They do make .303 British brass).

IP Logged

Rick58
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I went to Midway site only source was Winchester, Remington was still good, but seasonal.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Could it be possible the web site is not current with the latest conditions if it is true?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cemorse
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Just received an e-mail from Midway saying Remington has discontinued .30-40 Krag brass.

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 1:27am
Print Post  
I just got the same email.... 

cemorse wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 10:42pm:
Just received an e-mail from Midway saying Remington has discontinued .30-40 Krag brass.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
PRVI has a contact form on their website, I have suggested to them that there would be a market for Krag brass, and since they already make .303....maybe they'd respond to a few more suggestions.

IP Logged

BM1455
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 12:13am
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Apr 2nd, 2016 at 10:19pm:
PRVI has a contact form on their website, I have suggested to them that there would be a market for Krag brass, and since they already make .303....maybe they'd respond to a few more suggestions.

Don't they want to make brass for the same calibers they make loaded ammo for?  Not that that should be discouraged.  Asking just for the brass may not be worth it to them.  Not sure?

I sent them an email anyways though.  Wink

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Maybe, but they could sure do that too, 180gr SP or develop a RN.  Such plans will likely fall victim to ITAR, which the EU seems to be going along with.  Some here in the US seem to be going along with it, despite the fact we refused to ratify it.  They do sell a lot of components through Grafs, so I'll drop them a line too!  Marge might have more pull that we do!  Guess it's time to trim and anneal all the brass I have empty!  Their 190gr BTHP shoots fairly good, despite being inconsistent in form, ie OAL, ogive, point shape, and a bit oversize at .3085".  Very long bearing surface and a thicker jacket than US match bullets.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint