Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Impact of Re-Blueing Barrel on Value (Read 1403 times)
RangeHound
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Impact of Re-Blueing Barrel on Value
Apr 30th, 2016 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I have found a Krag rifle that has at some point in past had the barrel re-blued.  The owner believes that that this shouldn't affect the value.  However, I believe that it devalues the rifle.  How much should I take into consideration of the blueing?  It looks great but I believe he needs to come down in his price.  It's not worth a premium in this shape.  This is my first Krag.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Impact of Re-Blueing Barrel on Value
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
'RangeHound' - Your instincts are correct.

'Re-Blue'? Krags were not 'blued' originally. Some minor parts got a nitre bath which gave them a 'flame blue' color. The Action, side-plate & magazine-gate were given case-hardened colors. The barrel was 'browned' which gave it a blue/black color. Some parts like the bolt and numbered face of the rear-sight leaf were in the 'white'.

During refurbishment prior to WW1, some Krags seem to have gotten some type of metal refinish, but, the different metal parts (IMHO) still took this in different shades and hues.

If a Krag is a consistent 'blue/black' color, this Screams 'Refinished' and markings and metal shapes have been sacrificed in the polishing process.

Such rifles are hard to sell and have to be priced for their utility value. Usually the value of the parts is totally gone, because no one wants refinished parts. Collectors want appropriate patina.

If the rifle in question has nice wood, (stock and hand-guard unbroken, with markings and contours intact), and a very good bore, I would guess $400 to $500 value. But, you better plan on keeping it. Resale is poor! 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint