10 He's baaaaack!!! (Read 8632 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

He's baaaaack!!!
Jun 29th, 2016 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Our friend Joe Farmer has returned to the Krag forum at Jouster/Culver. Anyone truly interested  (regardless of personal feelings) in the real nitty-gritty of Krags would do well to attend the lecture series.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: He's baaaaack!!!
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I have followed with interest 5MF's recent 'Krag' postings on Culver's Pages. (I abstained from the discussion, because the outcome would be predictable. He has blamed me for the 'deterioration of the KCA site and his leaving it').

I wish 5MF well and a happy retirement! His posts make interesting reading, as Dick Hosmer reports.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2016 at 3:30am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers,
I stumbled across the above mentioned comments.  As a newbe to the Krag family I was totally over whelmed Undecided  I felt like sitting through a lecture on how the world was formed.  Come on guys, give me(us) a break! Angry  I am not a member of that forum, and probably will never join.  I resent being talked down to.
Thanks.

1stazmilitia

IP Logged

1stazmilitia
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
I failed to mention that I am the new owner of a M'98 rifle purchased on April 1st, and cartouche dated 1900) with a M'96 rear sight.  Now I am totally confused. 
I think that i will  I'll just toss down a couple of jiggers of Capt. 'whats is name' rum.  then I'll not worry about it any more. Cheesy

Himself, 1stazmilitia

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
1statzmilitia - model 1896, model 1901, or model 1902 rifle sights are all correct on your model 1898 Krag. (I love the U.S. model 1898 Krag- Jorgensen. Pick of the litter in my book).

Always, imbibe after shooting (your groups will improve) and have a Rum for me!

As we use to say in college: "Eschew Obfuscation".

I was always taught it was a virtue to communicate clearly and respectfully. It just takes more effort.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
1stazmilitia wrote on Jun 29th, 2016 at 7:22pm:
butlersrangers,
I stumbled across the above mentioned comments.  As a newbe to the Krag family I was totally over whelmed Undecided  I felt like sitting through a lecture on how the world was formed.  Come on guys, give me(us) a break! Angry  I am not a member of that forum, and probably will never join.  I resent being talked down to.
Thanks.

1stazmilitia

2015 was a landmark year for me. I got Joe's Book. It was written for a horribly small readership. Us.

I study GojuRyu Karate. A fellow wrote a book about that. It was written for an astoundingly small readership.

I enjoyed both books thoroughly. It was like each book was written for me.

Joe states things in a clear no bones about it manner. He backs up what he says with fact. Do not confuse that with being talked down to.

Be patient. If you are a newbie then you have stepped into the middle of a very long saga. It is like being in a classroom. Buy his book and join the class. Or not.

Keep an open mind.

There's a shiteload of information to assimilate if you care about the big picture and the environment that produced the Krag.

A ton of that info is over on that sight.

Read or re-read the original post in this thread. Dick felt strong enough about this to pass on the fact that 5 is back He felt that it was important for people interested in Krags to know.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 4:50am
Print Post  
To Dick Hosmer:  Regarding your question on Culver's Krag Forum (and to save you pulling guns out of storage).

The 1898 and 1902 sight bases are readily identified while on a Krag by simply raising the leaf and checking the spring.

(FWIW - I don't think the U.S. Armories made use of the 1898 bases after the sight was removed from service. Loose 1898 bases were once a pretty common surplus item. I think a lot of '98-bottom/1902 or 1903RB-top 'hybrid sights' were created by Bannerman, Stoke Kirk, gunsmiths, hobbyists, and even Joe DeChristopher and S&S Firearms).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I'll say this about Joe...  He is meticulous with his research and the information he presents.  Sometimes it can seem like he's a bit pompous and I think that's just his way... but there's no mistaking that he knows his stuff!  Like Mark said, take it with a grain of salt and wade through the information.  You'll be glad you did!

FWIW, there are a butt-ton of extremely knowledgeable people on both sites, including Mark, Dick and Chuck, three that I consider to be both experts and friends!  I've never met Dick in person, but Mark and I have met up at Camp Perry, and Chuck (Butlersrangers) and I meet up often and have shot together a few times too.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks Chuck - that's what I thought, but it doesn't pay to tilt at windmills with your lance hand tied behind you.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Asked on Culver's but I'll put it here too.  Wouldn't all they'd have needed to make use of the 98 ramps been a thicker slide?  It would've been close, though not perfect.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 5:01am
Print Post  
I suspect there was a desire to make model 1898 Krag rifles with model 1902 sights 'uniform', as well as, regulated for issue ammo.

IIRC - There are five variations of leafs on 1902 sights. Two or three variations of elevation locking-knobs. I think four different knurling or notching patterns on the side of the leaf. "Sgt. Peep" or no peep, but, only one base for rifle and one base for carbine. The base defines the model 1902 sight.

Also, the 1902 base in addition to being taller used a spring that was simpler, easier to machine and fit, cheaper, and probably less inclined to break than the 1898 base spring.

Per Mallory, Springfield 'remanufactured' or altered 110,000 model 1898 sight leafs. This was pretty labor intensive!

It required rounding-off the blade corners, eliminating the 'outside "V" notches, grooving & knurling the left-side of the sight leaf, and replacing or making major changes to the elevator-slide and its sub-parts. (Also, most of these altered blades have the, so called, "Sgt. Peep" feature).

In my experience, I have seen a fair number of these altered model 1898 leafs on Krags. Invariably they have been on model 1902 bases. However, I have always found regular model 1902 sights to be much more common.

If Mallory's number of 110,000 altered 1898 leafs is correct, one would think the variation of the model 1902 sight with the altered leaf would be the most common. (This has not been my experience though).

Complete original model 1898 carbine and rifle sights are not very common at all, especially, still on Krag rifles or carbines. I think this supports that they were pretty thoroughly withdrawn from service and taken apart.

I can recall when the stripped 1898 bases were quite common. (It must have been quite an expense to warehouse 110,000 obsolete bases. I'm surprised Springfield didn't salvage them, considering all the work that went into the alteration of leafs).

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 6:31am
Print Post  
The only salvage possible would have been to make 1902C from 1898R - the metal is too low. Bob's theory might have been an alternative.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I'm inclined to agree with you Dick.  It seems to me that the elevation of the ramp on the 1898R sight is comparable to the ramp of the 1902C. 

I've only seen one 1898R sight installed on a rifle (at a gun show)... and had a darned hard time walking away from it without going into hock (and divorce) to have it!  I have seen a bunch of the altered 98 leafs on rifles though.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
As Dick points out, if there was a desire to salvage model 1898 sight-bases at Springfield, only the rifle bases could have been utilized to make 1902 carbine bases, by 're-grinding' the curvature. (Although, 'Madsenshooter' has offered a clever solution that seems it could have worked to correct rifle bases by using a thicker slide).

IIRC - Springfield only made 5,000 model-1902 carbine sights. This was at a time when the new (1903) Springfield was being developed and readied for manufacture.

There are similar sight parts (spring, leaf, eye-piece/blade, pins, knobs, slide) that can interchange between the 1902 and 1903 sights. The only thing that does not interchange is the '02 and '03 base-body.

(Maybe there was no desire to reuse the model '98 base and its spring because they were so different in machining operations)???

I suppose only original documentation and Armory communications could prove the decision making and logic involved. (It is fun to speculate the process).

Also, at later times (WW1 mobilization - with rebuild & repair of a 'secondary weapon' and 1920s DCM sales of obsolete equipment) maybe some 'oddities' got put together (and then there is Bannerman, Stokes Kirk and others).

FWIW - photos contrasting L to R: 1902 rifle, 1898 rifle, and 1902 carbine bases.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
First of the Month. Bills coming in. Maybe I should go to the basement and create an 'oddity' ... ! (Just kidding).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint