Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Grandpa's Krag Carbine. (Read 13680 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Grandpa's Krag Carbine.
Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Just to take the pressure off, and answer your questions, yes, they hold the National Matches every summer (end of July/early August time frame).  The Roosevelt Match is new this year to commemorate and Honor Theodore Roosevelt, who is the father of the CMP and the National Matches.  Now, I will have to admit, I've never seen someone shooting a Krag Carbine at the matches... but there's no reason someone couldn't... and I think it would be a welcome sight!  As Cat-Man stated, there are always local matches to get you started in match shooting... and there will be plenty of people there that will help you get started.

Cat-Man, I started with that Hand Loader at the kitchen table, LOL!  Can't tell you how many primers I set off with that stupid priming tool that came with it (a little too aggressive with the hammer).  Cheesy

IP Logged

Man-Goat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Sea Girt held the first National Match!? That's really cool! I bet if I hang out here long enough I'll learn something new every day. Unfortunately almost all of NJ has been developed. I'm lucky that I work and live on a farm that can never be developed.

Thanks for the infos Cat Man! Some of those are actually pretty close to me. It would be a good way to check out ranges without having to join. I'm currently in the market for a good outdoor range in NJ and attending these would help that decision immensely.

As for the reloading, I've been watching some youtube videos about how different presses work and the like. Isn't the advantage of a progressive press taken away because you have to trim the rounds after they are sized? I like the idea of dialing in how much powder you need and then the machine putting that much in rather than weighing every scoop.

I wonder why no one shoots Krag Carbines at the matches. And on a related note, what's the accuracy potential in a perfect world where I am made of granite and never flinch when firing off the rifle? I would assume that they are accurate to a point. Sort of, 'Minute of Bad Guy', if you will.

Thanks again everyone and I hope that your fourth was fun and safe.

~Man-Goat

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
You should go and check out a local Vintage match too... just to see how they are conducted... and to see how much fun they are! 

As for progressive presses, my feelings are this:  if you are loading a thousand rounds of pistol ammo a month, then get one!  If you're loading a couple hundred rounds of Rifle ammo a month, they are (IMHO) totally unnecessary!  I load (on average) 200 to 250 rounds each month to support my son and my self with three relays per match a month.  I do all of this with my 30+year old LEE Challenger press at a rate of around 100 rounds per couple hours, after work in the evenings.  It does me well.  Heck, My press doesn't even have the quick change die capability that the newer presses have!  Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I load for 5 different rifles calibers (30-40 Krag, 30-06[1903A3], 30-06[Garand Rifle], 7.7x58MM[Arisaka], 7.5x55 Swiss[K31]), and 6 different pistol calibers (.45 ACP, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and a very rare 10.4mm Italian Ordnance [I have to convert .44 special brass for this]).

Also, with regard to those automatic charge devices, many use them with great success... but I am just a little too OCD, so I weigh each and every charge (if something went wrong and I blew up my Krag because I got the charge wrong, I have no one to blame but myself... and I'd also never forgive myself!).  Also, you have to clean them very carefully when changing powders.  One grain of Bullseye in with a charge of 4064, and it's goodbye Charlie!

I think the main reason Carbines are not used has to do with the sling.  An "As-Issued" Krag carbine would not have sling swivels, and most of us use the sling for position shooting (they are not permitted for off-hand/standing).  However, if you're good, it wouldn't be necessary.  I would think the Carbine would have the advantage in Off-Hand, as you wouldn't have that heavy 30 inch barrel to heft and steady for each shot.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Sea Girt was a famous Rifle Range. IIRC the New Jersey National Guard hosted the National Matches in 1903, 1905, and 1906. Ft. Riley, Kansas hosted 1904 and Camp Perry, Ohio, opened in 1907.

I believe the N.J.N.G. has a museum at Sea Girt. I do not know what other use is made of the site. (I've never been there).

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Yeah What Steinmayer says.  I use Corbin's Mega-mite 2 fifty cal press.  Don't buy one unless you are insane then by all means knock your self out.  I was going to shoot fifty cal benchrest rifles but life got in the way.  This press weighs 70 pounds.  So instead of buying another press I just put in the adapter and pressed on.  My first go at reloading Krag ammo was 140 cases and it took me an hour or so.  All primed first then one powder and one bullet and repeated 140 times. You can never be too paranoid to load ammo.

The thing you can really do for yourself is get Hornady locking rings for your die sets unless you are using Hornady dies.  They clamp to your dies, do not damage your threads and have flats so you can use an open end wrench to get the dies off the press without moving your settings

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 10:49am
Print Post  
+1 on the Hornady locking rings.  Once you install them, set your die depth, and lock the ring... your setting will NEVER change unless you want it to.  I use mostly LEE dies, and have changed over most of them to the locking rings now.

Another note about reloading... and possibly the best advice I can give to a novice:  Get a good loading manual.  Better still, get two or three!  I use the Hornady 9th edition as my Bible, and back it up with data from the Lyman 49th edition, Speer, and LEE (Lee load data tables are usually with their dies). 

Now... let's talk about that 50 cal Paul...   Grin

IP Logged

Man-Goat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
You all have suck an awesome wealth of knowledge! Thank you so very much.

Are Hornady presses any good? I was thinking of jetting over into PA to hit up my local Cabella's and I think they carry Hornady presses on the floor. Unfortunately the People's Rupublic of New Jersey deems firearms 'weapons of mass destruction' so many of the local sporting goods stores have a rather anemic stock of accessories.

Also what is this annealing that I am hearing / reading about? Is that a process that is needed to reload your own? How about casting your own bullets? Does lead work well in Krags? I also assume that there are different types of powders and that a Krag would like a slower burning powder since it's an older rifle and the tech back then can't match the newer faster burning powders.

All in all thanks again. If I have more reloading questions I think I should probably just make a thread in the reloading section! Haha.

~Man-Goat

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
All of the single stage presses pretty much do the same thing.  My Dad used a red press which I guess was a Hornady for his .222 Remington ammo.  It did exactly what he wanted it to do.  Nothing fast or fancy.  They are only different by what kind of accessories can be attached to them.

Do a search on youtube for "reloading ammo" and see what other guys use and the manner that they use it.

Hickok45 has a well reasoned video.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Here Iraqveteran8888 uses a turrett press
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

If you want to save those videos then you can use
(You need to Login to view media files and links) to download them.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Hornady or LEE are about the same, with LEE being a little less in price.  Both use quick change adapters for the dies, although each uses a slightly different system of quick change.  Both are a great value too! 

Cast bullets work great in Krags. Lead is less forgiving in size than jacketed, so you will want to slug your barrel to know the exact size.  Madsenshooter is a wonderful resource with regard to loading and shooting cast, and taught me a great deal.  He makes the bullets for me that I shoot in my sporterized Benchrest Krag. 

Now, for powders, you will want to stick to the load tables in the manuals until you're well versed in loading and the exactitudes of the different powders.  Slower-burning powders are better with heavier bullets, and slightly faster with lighter... etc.  With cast, most use much faster burning powders, such as pistol/shotgun powders.  The Lyman 49th has extensive data for both jacketed and cast bullets.

Yes, if you post in the ammunition section, or even just read, you'll gain a wealth of knowledge.... and there is no shortage of helpful people (including myself) to be found there!  Fear not buddy... we'll get you headed in the right direction!   Cool

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah... and as for annealing, most of us do it to help preserve our brass.  The brass becomes brittle over time with repeated heating and cooling through the natural mechanics of being fired.  Annealing helps to soften the brass in the neck area, making it more malleable.  You'll want to re-anneal the brass every dozen or so loadings. 

To anneal, you'll heat the neck and shoulder area until the color of the brass turns to a bluish hue.  then, allow the brass to cool.  It's that simple.  Some drop the brass in water after heating.  I chuck my brass up in a drill (using my LEE trimmer collet) and spin them as I heat them to help them heat evenly.  Then, I drop them into a metal bowl until they're cool.  Then, size, trim, prime, and load as normal.

Also, once, you've loaded and fired, you'll want to neck-size only from there on out... but that's another story we'll get to later!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I would guess that whether or not the Roosevelt runs again next year depends on turn out this year.  With a lot of fellows rebuilding old Krags, I would expect to see a lot of them on the firing line.  Cheapest way to get into the game, considering the price of an 03 vs a Krag put together from parts, or the bargain basement prices one occasionally finds for a Krag in good condition.  New barrels for both carbine and rifle are available from the CMP, that'll put a lot of "shot out" Krags back into action.

IP Logged

Man-Goat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Okay, you guys are an awful influence. Haha! Grin I drove out to Cabela's, and hour an a half, and since I drove all that way I wasn't going to leave empty handed! I picked up the Hornady Classic Kit, which comes with a Hornady manual and pretty much everything to get stated. I also picked up the Lyman manual along with the reloading magazine, just to be safe. I have an old ultrasonic cleaner / heater that I got from Harbour Freight a looong time ago. I also picked up powder and dies for my commonly shot rounds.

Since I have a 1903 A3 I figured I would start reloading those to cut down on cost and practice the craft. The bad part is now I need to build a small corner bench for "Hobbies" so that I'm not in the way too much in the small apartment.

I went with Hornady because they have a promotion for 500 free bullets with the kit and 100 free bullets per die set. All said and done I got the kit for free because of the cost of .45 ACP bullets. Not an awful deal if I do say so myself.

The one bad thing is that the kit does not come with a trimmer so I have to go pick that up after I build the desk.

I want to thank each and every one of you guys, you all are such nice and friendly people with so much information. When I get the system set up and I am ready to start reloading I will definitely post again in the appropriate section and pick your brains about that subject.

~Man-Goat

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I would not worry about not having a trimmer. With low pressure rounds, I do not think the cases will lengthen very much. I got a trimmer a few years ago and only used it once to see how it worked. I have not fired any cases enough to really need it.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #28 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
You'll use the trimmer more with the 30-06 than you will with the 30-40 rounds... and as Fred said, you still won't use it that much.

Good job on the buy!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #29 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
The Lee trimmer is inexpensive and almost fool-proof.

It has a cutter and base that works for most calibers.

You then buy a (preset) shaft and head-holder for your specific cartridge.

It is a hand-held tool. You can do case trimming while watching TV.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint