Gun show conversation (Read 3993 times)
MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Gun show conversation
Aug 21st, 2016 at 5:16pm
Print Post  

I was at a gun show this weekend and a table had what would be a rare Krag if it was real.  I had already looked at it, but there was another gentleman looking it over.  The owner was not paying much attention so I asked the man if he thought the gun was correct.  He answered no and pointed out a few things, one i caught, the other I didn't.
This is where the story get funny.  He then said "there is something else, but I'm not at liberty to divulge it."
WOW, If you don't want to share your knowledge fine, but then stop talking.  If not then perhaps there are some details about Krag's that are classified by the NSA.  Perhaps I should file a freedom of information claim, but I'd probably just get a redacted exploded view.  Anyway I thought it was amusing.

Other then that there were quite a few overpriced Krag's.  '98 rifles for $950 to well over $1,000.  4-5 '96 carbines, only one I though was nice for $1,300 to $2,400.

What I always find interesting is table after table of Winchester lever actions, but no one ever seems to be buying them.  I am sure most of the good ones are probably sold to other vendors during set-up but it is a lot of the same guns on the same tables with the same prices show after show. 

Also, M1 carbine prices have taken a pretty good jump in the last year!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Gun show conversation
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 4:16am
Print Post  
You do not say if the other guy was looking to buy it, or just looking at it, so, you may have been unwittingly involved in a trifecta. Late on Sunday afternoon when fighting off sleep, I've been known to look intensely at guns I know well, just out of boredom.

When I was (as a long time collector) going to shows a lot, my worst nightmare was to have a friend come up and say "would you take a look at a (whatever) on a table over across the hall?" Sure, you say, and set off, only to find you are headed for another friend's table, and, to make it worse, the gun involved has some "issues".

Keeping your sanity, your reputation (the most important thing of all) and both of your friends can, at times, take some fancy footwork.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Wow what a tight spot to be in! I wouldn't have envied that position at all! Talk about walking on egg shells. Since you made it out alive in that situation Dick I think you should moonlight as a hostage negotiator. Nicely done Wink

Your story reminded me of one of the more strange interactions of my collecting career. I was looking to dump some duplicates I had in the collection and figured I would try using them as trading stock at local shops first before listing them online. I was making the rounds and stopped into a local shop that deals almost exclusively in second hand and military arms. Two of the duplicates I brought were a Venezuelan FN 49 and a Swedish AG 42B. He didn't really have anything I wanted and he wasn't interested in buying either outright. While we were talking shop a regular customer of his walked in and had a Type 99 on hold and was ready and waiting to pay for it. He was clearly a semi seasoned collector as he recognized both of my rifles and casually entered the conversation between myself and the shop owner. A few minutes go by and the owner asks me if I'm looking to liquidate anything else out of my collection at the moment and I said most likely not but I would let him know if anything changed and gave him my card and number. At that point I thought everything was over and I would go about my day, but I was wrong. The other fellow formerly introduced himself to me and asked for my phone number in a very respectful and simple manner. Immediately upon doing that the shop owner blew up and started screaming at the other patron!! Yelling that he was trying to conduct business and how dare he try and get my number to buy my rifles out from underneath him! I couldn't believe it. There must have been some bad blood between the two because this guy started yelling right back at the shop owner! So here I am stuck in the middle of a fight between two grown men over my phone number, haha! Luckily it didn't escalate too much farther and the guy left

YouTube  
IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Dick, everything you say is true.  I respect table etiquette and don't offer unsolicited advice when browsing.  But if you put a gun on your table and proclaim it to be something special, then you should expect it to generate some interest and should also expect that people might discuss it within earshot.

As it was the table owner was at the other end talking to the vendor behind him. The person I asked was another vendor that had a Krag on his table, so I assumed (I know, I know) he probably knew a little about them.  I guess what I though funny was that he pointed out a few things that were wrong with the gun and then couldn't divulge the third thing.  He could have easily said "I don't know", or the ever popular "what do you think?"

It just struck me as odd that that third thing must remain secret.

For all I know both parties are group members and reading this.  Which is why I have kept it vague as to their respective rifles.

anyway, 'nuff said.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
The guys word choice was certainly odd and a bit suspect no doubt especially since he had brought up two other "issues". My guess would be that since he was another vendor he most likely knew the fellow who was selling it and was just being careful with what he said so it didn't get around the show and hurt himself in some way.

Up here in the North Idaho Panhandle and bordering Spokane area we have the same problem with our shows with having a lot of the same regurgitated inventory (much of it being overpriced Winchester lever guns). Lots and lots of the same stuff just on a different table. What kind of prices are you seeing on M1 Carbines down there??

YouTube  
IP Logged

MPF
KCA Forum Member

Can dead men vote twice
at Easter?

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
To answer the M1 Carbine question.

Arsenal mixmasters $1,200-$1,400  and up from there.  Import marked on the lower range but not by much.

I looked at a fairly clean IBM.  IBM barrel,  late rear sight, early barrel band, don't know about the rest of the components but they were asking $1,800.  I remember this one because it was very similar to mine only almost $1,000 more then I paid just a year ago.
Fun gun  Gets almost as much attention at the range as the Krag.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I kinda missed the boat on the M1 carbine - always sorta wanted one, but was busy building my trapdoor collection. Now, I simply will NOT pay the obscene asking prices, or anything close to them. For an item made in the millions, that recently, I just cannot justify that kind of money. Couple of months ago I passed on a mixmaster for $800, which, I guess, may have been a mistake. So be it.

IP Logged

Jeremy T Garner
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I had a bad experience with a Federal Ordnance M1 Carbine I bought when I was 18 for $200 and disliked the carbine after that. I was young and hadn't researched the company like I should have. I just saw the price and went for it. I didn't touch a carbine again until two years ago when I bought my first GI carbine. I picked up a late war Rock Ola from 1944. It has the late Type III band with bayonet lug (Korea addition?), updated safety, adjustable sight, and was in a .U. Underwood stock. Barrel was near mint and all the metal was Rock Ola so I snapped it up for $500 and never looked back. It's been a blast to shoot. Then about 3 months ago I had a chance at an early war Underwood from November of 42'. It has the type I band, push button safety, non adjustable flip sight, high wood stock, and everything is Underwood on it. I paid $1,000 for that rifle out the door as part of a multiple rifle purchase. I was reasonably pleased at this price for an early weapon that appeared to not have been modified outside of a light sanding on the stock unfortunately (cartouches were still plenty visible). It didn't have a sling so I spend the next 2 months trying to find an original early c tip khaki sling. Boy was that difficult! Two fakes (which I returned for full reimbursement) and a lot of frustration later I picked up an original from a friend that owns a local shop out of his personal collection. I am shocked at the number of fake parts and accessories out there for carbines! It blew me away!

YouTube  
IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
My Father-in-law carried an M1 Carbine during WW2 as a member of a 240mm Howitzer crew. He served in heavy fighting in Belgium and Germany, from six days after 'D-Day' until the German surrender. He was in Occupied Germany, when Japan surrendered.

He was very fond of his carbine, but, probably never fired it at the enemy. Their main role was moving and emplacing their Gun, (christened "Bougainville"), and accurately lobbing 360 pound Howitzer projectiles, 12 to 14 miles at targets spotted by a Piper Cub.

His recollections, which he shared with me more than anyone else, made me want an M1 Carbine.

Years ago, I owned a beautiful Winchester made M1 Carbine in early WW2 configuration. It was too nice to shoot much and became a 'Closet Queen'. I sold it for a good profit.

Three of four years back, the local gun shop had a 'Blue Sky' import, National Postal Meter M1 Carbine, that I got for under $350. The 'import markings' didn't bother me and really lowered the price!

It is a 'rebuild', with a Springfield Armory birch stock and all U. S. GI parts. It cleaned up nice and has all the later features, that make for better shooting. It is fun to use and I don't feel guilty shooting it. Its, Marlin made, barrel is immaculate and accurate!
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2016 at 1:13pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint