Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Worth Sharing (Read 2911 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Worth Sharing
Sep 3rd, 2016 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Thousands of people will celebrate Labor Day by walking across the Mackinaw Bridge. It would be cool if it looks like this on Monday!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Worth Sharing
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I've always wanted to "Walk the Mighty Mack"... and maybe one day in the future, I will!!!  Funny, I live in the mitten state, and I've only been to/across the bridge once when I was a teen!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Paul you are a pure-blooded Troll! (Were you in a Yugo on that trip? Thrill seeker that you are)!

My parents were both from the Upper Peninsula. We would make an annual trek of 600 miles to visit Family. I was 9 years old, when 'The Bridge' opened. I remember well the huge Car and Train Ferries that crossed the Straights of Mackinaw. Drivers waited in line a couple of hours, (engines turned off), waiting their turn to drive on board by the hundreds. The crossing took about 45 minutes. It was a spectacular 'cruise', especially, with the bridge under construction!

The Bridge and the Interstate totally changed Michigan travel.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
How much is the toll? 

In 1969, my wife & I were canoeing in Boundary Waters.  Drove home round the top of Lake Superior.  We did not have much $$ & the toll seemed extreme.  We drove back to Canada, came into the US at Buffalo.  Got to Buffalo with 25 cents between us.  We had a Texaco credit card.  Used it for gas to get home to Syracuse.  Not on NYS Thruway.  Could not afford that either.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
"The Bridge" tolls were cheaper than the Ferry Boats and went down after recouping some of the State's investment. Now the tolls are low ($4.50, I think) and just provide for maintenance.

I can remember making trips like that with my wife and rolling into the driveway on fumes. It sure added to the adventure!

When younger collectors see those amazing gun prices from the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, they have to appreciate some of us were just getting by. I collected Lee-Enfields because '03 Springfields and Krags cost $40-$50.

('1969' Gas was about 24 cents a gallon in Michigan).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 12:07am
Print Post  
We went all the way to Copper Harbor for two weeks in the spring of 1977, and we went in a brand new 77 GMC Suburban.  Stopped in Tahquamenon Falls and Marquette on the way up, and Iron Mountain, Sault St Marie, and Gaylord on the way back.  We also visited Ft Mackinac on the way up too.  One of my favorite family trips.  We spent more than a week exploring the copper mines.  Ask my dad about me scaring the life out of him... all because I wanted to keep a huge boulder (it's still in dads front yard to this day).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint