Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 30-40 Brass Requests (Read 12627 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: 30-40 Brass Requests
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
.303 will have to be F/L resized in a .30-40 die.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Yeah... as soon as I saw your responses (Chuck and Paul), and thought about it for a nano-second... I realized I had suffered a catastrophic brain fart!  LOL

Belay what I said about trying to fire 303 in a Krag!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Well at first I thought you must taken one too many tokes from the hash pipe but I dismissed that right away because you sold that months ago for your krag addiction.  (One addiction at a time is what i say)  Then I thought maybe you had laid in a years supply of airplane glue but I thought about the people in your PBA group (Paper Bag Anonymous) who would be disappointed that you relapsed from plastic for paper. (Again)

Then it came to me in a snap of the fingers.  Ol' Steinmayer had a stroke.  That could be the only answer and sure enough I was right. 

To our visitors:

Steimayer's comments about firing loaded ammo is spot on.  Resizing brass in times of brass shortages will get you through the hard times.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
While there's a certain amount of variation in U.S. Krag chambers and probably somewhat more in new .303 brass, it's been my experience that most .303 cartridges can be chambered in my Krag using only a minor amount of brute force turning down the bolt handle. Try it with some new .303 brass and you may be surprised. (Shoulders are pretty far back on most unfired specimens I've handled.)

(You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Naturally, firing this combination isn't a recommended practice - but probably wouldn't produce a disaster since the Krag's breech configuration provides outstanding case support, even if the primary (forward lug) is compromised.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
That's how I sized my PRVI .303 brass.  It is nicely annealed and forms fairly easy in the rifle.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Too much information. Now, I'm confused!

The 'Loaded' military and commercial .303 British cartridges, that I have, will not chamber in the several .30-40 Krag rifles I have checked.

IMHO - It would be quite a task to force a loaded .303 round into a Krag chamber and close the bolt.

(It would be easy to re-form empty .303 brass in a .30-40 F.L. Resizing Die to fit the Krag chamber).

Photo comparing nickel plated .30-40 round with British Mk VII .303 round.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 5:54am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 8th, 2016 at 4:05am:
IMHO - It would be quite a task to force a loaded .303 round into a Krag chamber and close the bolt.

While that may be true for your chambers and cartridges, I assure you it is not so for mine. Some force is required, but nothing that can't be applied by a normal bare hand (vintage 1945). Here are a few examples -

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Note how little shoulder deformation is needed to match the fired .30-40 case. Don't be confused by comparison of shoulder position with a new .30-40 case - there's a significant difference.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
This is a good potential hazard to know. I would not want a future shooter to put a jacketed .314" projectile through a .309" bore.

It is our responsibility to clearly mark any non-standard ammunition and the firearm it is intended for.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Which sort of brings me back around to my brain fart (sorry... no stroke Culp).

I agree that the Krag has excellent case support... and Michael Petrov's experiments prove protection in the safety lugs should the single locking lug be compromised.  Still, I would worry that someone could try, and succeed in firing one, and the potential for failure does exist!  If I ever had to use re-formed .303... I would have to make darn sure that the brass used in my Krag was clearly identified as such!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Just today, someone brought me a box of .303.  Well he gave me the box after I dug a couple .303s out of his Winchester 94AE in 30-30.  It was a box of Winchester 180gr Power Point.  They go fairly easy into my Krag, takes a bit of extra force to close the bolt, but not a lot.  On the left is an unformed one, on the right, one that I closed the bolt on.  Bullet mics .3105", not likely to produce a whole lot of extra pressure in my .310" groove diameter barrel.  A handy thing to know in case of emergency, but emergency is the only scenario that would allow the use of .303 in a Krag.  I'm a handloader, no big deal to pull the bullets and remove a couple grains of powder.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Of course I had to pull one down to satisfy my curiosity.  Winchester claims 2460fps for the 180gr bullet.  I was surprised to find 39.4gr of a stick powder, certainly not 4064 as I had some of that to compare.  I was expecting a ball powder.  .033 thick grains, about .085 in length.  Looking on the Hodgdon site, IMR4166 appears to be a likely candidate, producing 42,300CUP.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #26 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I do hope folks know that factory ammunition is normally loaded with "non-cannister" powders for which there is no precise equivalent available to handloaders.

IP Logged

Eagle223usa
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #27 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 3:37am
Print Post  
I emailed Starline as they have just started producing a bottle neck rifle round, got no reply.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint