Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Anyone Fit a Stockset from Bob's Gunshop? (Read 3083 times)
bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Anyone Fit a Stockset from Bob's Gunshop?
Oct 12th, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Looking for a new stockset to assemble a correct rifle.  Not many options out there.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Anyone Fit a Stockset from Bob's Gunshop?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Pardon the semantics, but using a new-made stock does NOT make it a "correct" rifle!

FWIW, I'd recommend paying for an original stock, or buying a rusty gun with decent wood, and selling whatever was left over after the swap party.

In fact, money and sentiment aside, you would probably be better off, in the long run, by just saving up for a nice rifle and selling all of your parts.

Just my $.02 after 50 years of collecting - the abortions finally get to you.

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Another option is looking for a sporterized original stock, cut ahead of the lower barrel band, and graft in a new fore arm. While obviously not totally correct, you'll have a nice stock that requires minimal inletting (if any) and fits as it should.

Sporterized stocks seem to be fairly abundant (compared to original unmodified stocks) and can be had for a lot less. Even with buying a fore arm and the epoxy to reassemble it you should still come out ahead.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Your probably right.  The guy has semi finished stocks for around $200.  Just doing some comparisons.  I've yet to find a decent stock for anywhere near that but I'm always looking.  I'd like to build a CMP legal rifle sort of like the reproduction 1903s being sold.  There's a cut down model 1898 at home sitting in a Bishop monte carlo stock that would love a new barrel and a stock with at least the correct external dimensions.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
As others have stated, it's best to look into a used stock, or a cut-down stock that can be repaired.  Boyd's used to have Krag replacement stocks... but they were very poorly cut and inletted... and required a great deal of work to fit properly.  The CMP offers replacement stocks for 1903 and Garand rifles.  I sure wish they offered Krag stocks too....

As for the barrel, Criterion sells Krag barrels through the CMP, and the CMP gunsmithing service will even install it correctly for you!

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Sounds like the Krag replacement stock situation is not the same as for M1s.  I got some guidance from Butlersrangers about grafting a forearm.  One of my winter projects. 

Always looking for a nice original rifle but I do also want a rifle with no collector value for the range.   

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Grafting a replacement fore arm on to a sporterized stock is really an easy job and one that can save you a lot of money over buying one in uncut original condition.

Members here can provide guidance on how best to accomplish this. Additionally there are two forums, jouster.com and milsurp.com, with significant amounts of data related to restoring older military rifles that would be pertinent to repairing a cut down stock. Milsurps actually has a restoration section where a lot of the techniques used could also be useful for other projects.

I just repaired a cut down M1892 stock to return a very nice sporterized rifle back to military sec. I bought a reproduction fore arm off gunbroker that was already drilled for a 1/2" dowel and 2 smaller ones for threaded brass rod. I then cut off the old shortened fore end (perfectly straight and sanded smooth) and, after lining up the holes on the new fore end, drilled corresponding holes in the original butt stock. From there it was simply filling the holes with Acraglas gel, inserting the dowel and brass rods cut to correct length then pressing it all together (wiping off the excess that oozed out). I installed the barreled action and used it to align everything then zip tied the fore end to make sure everything stayed tight. Finally I used a very long wood clamp and clamped it all together from the end of the butt stock to the end of the fore end so the joint would be compressed. After it dried, a little sanding, staining and a new hole drilled for the barrel band and it was done.

Stretch

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Can't recommend Bob's.  I got one once, it would have required a lot of work to get anywhere near getting an action to fit.  It went on ebay, and the guy that got it from me put it back on ebay rather than work with it.  That ought to give you an idea of Bob's quality.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint