Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 Bolt Sleeve (Read 5506 times)
flyer92
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Bolt Sleeve
Oct 25th, 2016 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Greetings all!  Since almost every component on the bolt of my 1898 rifle is in the white, I have been casually collecting original blued parts to bring it back to original spec.  To that end, I picked up this trio of what appears to be a NOS extractor, extractor pin, and bolt sleeve. 

Everything looked like it would fit together OK, until I inspected the sleeve and noticed that the bottom hole where the tip of the extractor pin goes is actually threaded (see second photo).  Since the pin is supposed to be swaged into this hole, I was expecting it to be smooth, so the threads threw me for a loop.  So now...before I start jamming beautifully blued 100 year-old parts together, I am just requesting your expertise to determine whether:

-The bolt sleeve is correct for an 1898 long rifle.

-If it is correct, why are the threads there?

Again, thanks for your valuable advice!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1898 Bolt Sleeve
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 12:27am
Print Post  
The answer is quite simple; it is not an 1898 sleeve!

The original M1892 rifles had their extractors held with a screw, driven down from the top. This screw could, and would, back out. Later arms, beginning with the M1896, used a pin, pressed up from the bottom. The lower portion of the "arm" is reduced in length sufficiently to access the head of the pin, and the presence of the bolt body - when everything is assembled - assures that the pin can never come out.

What you have would - with the purchase of the correct screw - work just fine, but it would not be "correct" for an 1898 rifle.

IP Logged

flyer92
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 12:55am
Print Post  
OK, thanks...I was afraid that would be the answer!  Shame though, as the finish on that sleeve was really nice.

So...this brings me to my next question.  Does anyone have an 1898 bolt sleeve and safety (in similar condition) for sale?  Also glad to trade or sell this 1892 sleeve in case anyone wants it.  Would prefer that you all get first dibs before I sell it elsewhere.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 2:29am
Print Post  
'flyer92' - A model 1898 Krag Bolt-Sleeve is pretty easy to get. What is trickier is to get parts that look correct together.

The Krag action and various rifle parts have subtle colors that are not a homogeneous 'Blue' or 'Black', as found on more modern arms.

Also, from wear and use, various parts took on different patina, related to the toughness of the Armory Finish applied to the part.

I may be saying things you already know.

People, 'New to Krags', have to develop an eye for what looks right on their rifle.

IMHO - Very few Krags are Pristine. That's 'OK'. Mint Krags belong in Museums and Gun Safes!

The worn ones, we play with.

(Some photos to show: 1. A Minty Krag. and 2. through 4. Parts after Normal use).

IP Logged

flyer92
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Thanks all...great photos and advice as usual.  As butler mentioned, my problem isn't necessarily finding a bolt sleeve, but finding one that matches the other parts appropriately.  I have been studying Krag finishes for almost a year now, and must have looked at over a thousand rifles by now.  Luckily, just when I thought I wouldn't be able to find one, I think I may have done so elsewhere online.  Will only know for sure when it arrives, but as you know it's always a gamble.

Speaking of finishes, I have seen safeties in both blue and white.  What in your opinion, would be the most correct/authentic?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Case-hardened - kind of silvery grey.

IP Logged

flyer92
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Thanks, butler...that is a great/comprehensive list.  The wide variety of finishes on one rifle is absolutely mind-boggling though!  What reference does that page come from anyway?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 4:04am
Print Post  
'flyer92' - I've sent you a PM.

IMHO - Some of the variation, you are seeing in the military finish on Krag rifles, is probably due to original Armory finish vs. later re-finish methods, utilized when rifles were Armory/Arsenal 'rebuilt/reconditioned'.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Just bought a NOS sleeve off ebay for $20.  It's got a nice black finish.  I also got a NOS side cover with a not so attractive black finish.  Looks original but just old.

IP Logged

flyer92
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Thanks, butler...got your PM.  Really appreciate the great info.

Bote...great find.  I too bought an 1898 sleeve on eBay for $20, but without the option to choose from the seller's stash.  The sleeve is functional but pretty ugly.  Guess I'll have to try again...can you please advise who sold you the nice sleeve?

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
The ebay seller is movieman630. They classify the parts as "used" but everything I've gotten has been unused.  I've purchased a bolt, sleeve, extractor, upper band, side cover and 1902 peep sight at reasonable prices.  Been satisfied with everything I got.  The 100 year old polished bolt with perfect sleeve and extractor is a thing of beauty.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 5:04am
Print Post  
That boltsleeve has been upgraded from 92.  The barrel has been shortened, and it likely doesn't have the securing stud on the right side, which would make fit only a 92 bolt.  Finally, the safety has been changed from 92 to later style.  A 6x32 screw of the proper length is about all you'd need to get it working for you.

IP Logged

flyer92
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Thanks Bote...I've been buying parts from movieman for a long time, and that's actually where I got the ugly 1898 bolt sleeve.  Definitely not the same condition as most of the other parts that I've received from him.  However, I can't complain or ask for a refund as he doesn't post photos of the exact item and doesn't guarantee mint or NOS condition.  That said, I have purchased some fantastic Krag parts from him, including a beautiful NOS bolt body and extractor.  That extractor in particular, exhibits the most amazing example of niter bluing I've ever seen on a Krag, and that's what I was attempting to marry up with an equally stunning bolt sleeve.  The hunt continues of course, and that's half the fun of this great (and often frustrating) hobby!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint