Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
sporter not loading right (Read 3441 times)
Nukedaddy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

sporter not loading right
Nov 13th, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I have a sporterized 98 I like, but it has an issue I'm hoping other more experienced owners can guide me about. The gun will not pick up and load cartridges from the magazine reliably. The number of cartridges does not appear to matter. It seems like the bolt just does not pick up the cartridge on closure. The gun ejects correctly. I have double-checked the cartridge length against specs for reloads and tried factory loads, no difference. Th one thing that sticks in my mind is that when I bought the gun there was a small piece of "popsicle" stick taped to the cartridge follower that I removed. I should check the books for the real name of the part, but it is the rounded bullet shaped part that presses the cartridges toward the left side of the magazine when the loading door is closed. Is there a spring in the loading door mechanism that gets weak over time or an adjustment to fix this problem? Am I just not "holdin' my mouth right?" There are a couple of good gunsmiths down here arounf Vickburg, but I hate walking in and not have a good direction for them to go in to fix the Krag.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: sporter not loading right
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 12:15am
Print Post  
'Nukedaddy' - One 'curved' flat-spring (hidden behind the Magazine-Gate hinge-pin) powers the follower-assembly and tensions the Magazine-Gate.

Lots of dried grease and crud 'in the system' or a broken flat-spring (a rare event) are your likely culprits.

Spring action is easily tested by removing barreled-action from stock and taking off side-plate. The Follower should then project out of the left-side of the action. If the Magazine-Gate shows good resistance to opening and snaps shut with gusto, the problem is probably just dried grease and dirt.

(Attached pics to show mechanism).

p.s. - Make sure your magazine cut-off lever is in the 'up' position and not blocking cartridge feed. Also, make sure the inside of the side-plate is clean and not damaged or dented.

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2016 at 6:37pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 11:19am
Print Post  
I was going to ask if the magazine cutoff lever was removed or not... but Butlersrangers advice is right on the money!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
FWIW - A photo of the inside surface of a couple of model 1898 side-plates.

IP Logged

Nukedaddy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Anybody out there?

IP Logged

Nukedaddy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Really great help, will disassemble and degrease before spending gunsmith money on it first. Thanks, all!!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint