Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
what makes a krag carbine? (Read 4254 times)
Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

what makes a krag carbine?
Nov 22nd, 2016 at 7:27am
Print Post  
now i am no expert, but what does a krag carbine(one that isn't bubbasized) look like compared to a rifle.

serial numbers? 1898 or 1899?
i don't know, but i'd like to learn.

thanks!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: what makes a krag carbine?
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Howdy Todd!  Check out the photo page on this forum:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Also, ask Mr. Hosmer to show you some of his collection (his is just about one of the best).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
".... what makes a krag carbine?" - The Springfield Armory!

IMHO - It is always a good idea to read and start a library, before investing in collectable firearms. Even as a young gun enthusiast, I quickly learned that there was a lot of bogus information concerning Krags.

Over the years at gun shows (and now on the internet) lots of people try to pass off cut-down rifles as Krag cavalry and "Philippine Constabulary" carbines. It has long been profitable to misrepresent altered rifles, (that should have been devalued), as legitimate carbines.

Fact - Because the Krag carbine was such a handy arm for 'Hunting', when eventually sold off by the government, many Krag rifles were shortened to carbine length by various parties.

The KCA website is a very good and helpful resource. There are other websites which are far less reliable. There are other websites that are very poor and offer erroneous data.

Krag books worth owning: "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", by Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch, (cost about $20). It has lots of good, basic information and photographs. There are some mistakes and assumptions, that have upset some advanced authorities, but, you get a lot for your 'Buck'.

"The Krag Rifle Story", by Franklin Mallory, is an out-of-print classic and will cost around $200, used. I prefer the 2nd Edition, which was an 'upgrade' and has some SRS serial number data.

"The Krag Rifle", by William Brophy, is another out-of-print classic and seems to go for around $150, used. It nicely complements Mallory's book and has better photographs and European Krag data.

Some knowledgeable, advanced collectors are reporting positively about Joe Farmer's, self published, work advertised in the KCA classifieds.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2016 at 6:40pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for he kind words, Paul.

Todd:

Most of my Krags, including several carbines, may be seen at (You need to Login to view media files and links)

ALL of the srms shown on that site are - AFAIK - absolutely 100% "collector correct", though not all are in the upper grades of condition.

Krag carbine stocks were always new-made, with certain distinct features - never cut-down from rifles with a patch inserted, etc. Barrel bands are retained by a spring, never the pin used on rifles. There were two stock lengths, 30" and 32". The shorter ones were used on Model 1896 and Model 1898 carbines as originally built. Nearly all such stocks had the bar and ring. The 32" stock was used on Model 1899s, and for repairing/rebuilding earlier models, including very nearly 100% of the 5000 Model 1898s. It was never fitted with the bar & ring.

Nearly all carbines fall into fairly well defined blocks of serial numbers, but, until the Model 1899, receiver markings were identical between rifle and carbine production.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
In studying Krags, one should develop a trained eye, so that refinished wood and metal becomes pretty obvious. This comes with experience gained by looking at lots of examples, (from 'Mint', to 'Well Used', to 'Bubbaed').

Krags have a rather complicated array of finishes that were applied to the various metal components. Krags were not given a uniform 'Blue/Black' like more modern guns.

Some of the metal part finishes, applied to the Krag components, are quite fragile. The finish wear on parts and patina that comes from use is a 'clue'. Screw head shape, fit, and correctness is a 'clue'. Buggered screws, incorrect screws, parts that appear too new and inconsistent with the rest of the arm, serve as clues that things were messed with.

The barrel muzzle 'crown' and front-sight base, (both rifle and carbine), were very expertly and consistently done, at Springfield Armory. The sight base is almost invisibly dovetailed and bronze brazed into the barrel. (A Krag cavalry carbine will never have a banded front-sight).

Krag rifle and carbine barrels have the same taper, (so barrel outside-diameter is the same for both, 22" from the breech). Rifle barrels are 30" and carbine barrels are 22", exactly, when measured from the muzzle to the 'closed-bolt' face.

Photos - List of Krag model 1898 metal part finishes, model 1899 carbine front-sight, and model 1898 rifle front-sight:

IP Logged

Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
thanks guys!!!

my used to be a bubbasized krag. (sorry bout the pixs)
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

i have changed alot of things...

i've gotten the orignal stock that used to be my pappy's. i put on a lower band from s&s firearms. i took off the back sight so i could put on a redfield peep sight(102k?).

the orginal stock was blackened from up in the rafters from my pap's basement. i used steel wool until i could see the grains from the wood(took about a week to do). then it was another 3 or 4 days using johnson's paste wax.

it took 3 or 4 days to take out the screws that held in the rear sight. thank God for kroil!!! i would soak the screws with kroil two times a day. each time i tried using a flat head screwdriver but it was a no go. i didn't want to bugger up the screws. finally the last day  the screws about fell out!!!

then i tried to degrease the screw holes the best i can do, then a candle plus a lighter did fill up the screwholes. i did the redfield sight soon after. so now i have a new/old krag. Grin

IP Logged

Todd Doyka
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
i don't know when the barrel from my krag was cut off. there is nothing on the stock either. who ever did that must have been a true gunsmith.

i know that the krag was produced in 1903. where it goes from there no one knows until it becomes my great grandfather's(about 1920-30"s maybe before that). he hunted with it until he died(1955). then it became my pappy's(who occasionally hunted with it). my dad and my late uncle both hunted with the krag. but it stayed with pappy until he died. well the krag stayed with pappy until he gave it to me(about 3 months later he died).

pappy did what he thought was a favor, he put on a bishop stock(early 1960's?), yuck. my dad and my late uncle had to deal with that. after my pappy died, my dad and his friend were at the house(pappy) cleaning up, when all of the sudden my friend reaches up to the rafters and he pulls out the krags stock! it saved me alot of hassle.

i haven't shot it since i put on everything, but before deer season begins, i will. it will be a 165gr ranch dog over 25.5gr of h4198. for only going about 1800fps it sure does smackdown on a deer.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Todd - You are fortunate to have a Krag that has a long history of serving your ancestors.

To many collectors, such Krags are not very desirable and only worth their salvageable parts value.

However, to your family, this Krag has a lot of oral tradition and should be treasured. This Krag was loved and used.

I personally find such rifles a lot of fun to shoot and enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint