Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 First Range Trip for Project Krag (Read 7759 times)
bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

First Range Trip for Project Krag
Nov 28th, 2016 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I'm really encouraged with my first range trip.  Three sight adjustments and it was in the 10 ring at 50 yards.  I know 50 yards isn't 200 but I'm pretty sure it will shoot better than I'm capable of.  The light was low as it was overcast and late.  I was having trouble seeing the skinny front sight.  I may have a thicker one made like I did for my 1903A3.  I chose the 1902 rear sight with the peep drilled out to .040"; may go a little bigger.  These were my first rounds ever using IMR4350.  I loaded 40 grains under Hornady 220 RN at 3.08 OAL, CCI 200 primers.  Any tips for fine elevation adjustments with the 1902 rear sight?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: First Range Trip for Project Krag
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
That IS encouraging!

Whatever you (and the rifle) "did" at #1, you managed to do it twice.  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2016 at 3:45am by Dick Hosmer »  
IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Nothing wrong with that shooting!!!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
There are different models of the 1902 leaf, 3, maybe 4.  They vary as to the amount of adjustment a single "notch" makes.  When you get down to the really fine ones, a single notch is hard to feel.  Parashooter can describe the differing leafs better than I can, as he once did on Culvers.  Got some nice illustrative pics IRC.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
'madsenshooter' brings up an interesting point.

I have never given much notice to the virtues of the various 1902 leaf serrations and 'locking-knob' styles.

(Here is a picture that compares some Krag sight leaves):

The bottom one is a '98 (sight-model) - leaf has a smooth edge.

The two middle ones are fine and coarse (serration) '02 leaves.

The top one is a (1903 Springfield) '03 leaf, that was used by Springfield to rebuild a lot of '02 Krag sights. It has fine cross-hatched serrations.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 1:15am
Print Post  
This table would be applicable to the second one down in BRs pic and would also apply to the yardage marks on others, which also have some variety in marks.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2016 at 2:57am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
So I was loosening the elevation locking knob and trying to move the sight up in the smallest increments I could.  I assume this is what you have to do?  I got lucky with two elevation adjustments but this was at 50 yards.  It will be harder at 100 and 200.  I can just see myself bumping the sight right before a match and trying to adjust it on the line.  I was between the 2 and 300 yard marks at 50 yards so the front sight blade is probably tall.

What does the chart mean by "one point"?

Where do you guys get these pics? Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
'bote':

Re. elevation and sights:
In my experience, it is not unusual for a lot of smaller than .43" caliber military rifles to 'shoot lower groups' at 50 yards than at 100 yards, with the same sight setting.

I think it is the sight-angle/related to the line of bore. The bore is angled a bit 'upward' and bullet trajectory is relatively flat at 'close' range. (Significant bullet drop has not occurred yet).

Probably, the best practice is to shoot at 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards and note the rear-sight setting in a 'score book'. Gauges could be made from metal or thick plastic (and distances marked) to check and confirm correct rear-sight setting, during a Match.

FWIW - Most military sights were not designed for 'paper bulls-eye' shooting. Primary intent was to hit a man-size target from point-blank to 400 yards by aiming at his gut and not fussing with sights. We just like to do better and compete.

Re. "one point":
I believe this refers to the 'windage' graduation-markings on the sight base.

Re. photographs:
Most of us take our own of guns, parts, items, or literature in our collections.

(I probably post too many, but, I am a visual person and find it easier to explain with pictures than with words).
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2016 at 1:22am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Where do you guys get these pics?  I stole mine from Parashooter.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
FWIW, At 200 yards and shooting the standard load of 220 gr RN over 40.0 grains of 4350, my elevation is set at the 225 point on my 1902 sight.  Now whether this has to do with my use of the (modified) Sgt. Peep or not remains to be seen... but it does ok.  I also use a little "Kentucky Windage" in my shooting - in that I get it as close as possible, and then if I'm not deadnutz center, I adjust my sight picture to compensate.  It's just easier for me than fooling around with the sight adjustment during a match.  This may affect my ability to medal... but at least I'm not frustrated WHILE I'm shooting (I just save the frustration for after when I see my score, LOL).

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the tips.  I plan to get in some range time this weekend.  These short days are killers.  I'm going to break down the ammo I had loaded with varget and 4064 and reload the cases with 4350.  My sporter with 27" barrel likes the varget so I may shoot a few of the varget rounds for a comparison. 
In a couple weeks I'll give her a break so I can repair the stock.  A previous owner sawed out a chunk to facilitate the installation of a receiver sight.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
To expand on what Chuck said, always remember that the actually trajectory of the bullet, which is of course NEVER "flat", intersects the perfectly straight line of sight TWICE - once (rising) at about 25 yds, then falling (at a steeper rate) somewhere down-range.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
'bote' - It sounds like you are having fun. (That's why most of us 'play' with Krags).

Early 'Score Books' show up at gun shows and on ebay for not too much money. Look for one. Some still covered Krags, even after the 1903 and 1917 rifles were in common use. All kinds of shooting hints are contained therein.

Early shooting books, like Dr. Walter Guy Hudson's, "Modern Rifle Shooting - from the American standpoint", pub. 1903, are cheap and a fun winter read - 'printed on demand' / Google books.

Also check out works by Col. Townsend Whelen.

IP Logged

bote
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the book tips.  Love old reference books. 

Looks like the Roosevelt Match is on the schedule for the last day at Perry in 2017.  Looks like it is set up like the JCG matches.  I'm trying to figure a way to go but it's a long drive from western KY and they tend to spread out the matches.  I normally shoot my NM Garand in local matches but have lately shot the JCG and vintage sniper at Talladega.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I'll be at Perry from Friday through Tuesday to hit the Garand, Vintage, Springfield and Roosevelt next year.  You are more than welcome to join My son, Bob, and anyone else who wants to squad with me for all of these matches.  We can coordinate in the spring.  I usually stay in Fremont, which is about a fifteen minute drive, and WAYYYYYY less expensive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint