Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
My new toy (Read 2636 times)
justbob87
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

My new toy
Dec 16th, 2016 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone!! I am new to this forum. This is actually the first time I have used a forum. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

So, a few years ago, my Grandpa had passed away. I just received a rifle that was handed down from him to me. I got it yesterday. It is a Springfield Armory Model 1898 Carbine. I did some research and am fascinated by how old the rifle is. It is in great shape!

However, I seem to be having the same problem that I am sure many others are having. Where do you find .30-40 Krag ammo?! I have looked everywhere and it seems that it is a seasonal thing I guess. Hopefully some comes up soon. I am excited to try this bad boy out. So I figured I would get on a forum and figure out what may be the best thing to do.
I was wondering if I should get into reloading ammo. But I also assume that if we can't find the ammo, will it be as hard to find the components needed for reloads? Also, what all would I need to be able to reload? I have never done it before.

I look forward to getting some input from you all! Hope everyone is having a good day! Thanks!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My new toy
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
'justbob87' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. It is neat that you inherited your Grandpa's Krag.

If you post some clear close-up pictures, you will get a lot of good information regarding your Krag. It important to clearly show sights, markings, barrel muzzle 'crown', and Stock forearm tip.

Krag ammo can be found in small independent gun shops and some gun shows. $30 to $40 a twenty round box seems the going rate.

Reloading is a lot of fun and Reloading Manuals like Hornady's or Lee's clearly explain the basics.

Lee reloading equipment is decent, probably the least expensive, and can turn out quality ammo.

You just missed out on the appearance of new .30-40 Brass on the Graf's & Sons web site. I'm sure there will be more.

It is always best to start out with a box of recent U.S. factory ammo (Remington or Winchester, with 180 grain round nosed bullets). Most Krags shoot this load well and it gives you a point for comparison.

What State are you in? Maybe there is a KCA Forum Member nearby that can give you some guidance.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
First, let me welcome you to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!  For some of us, they're a way of life!  Be careful... Krags tend to multiply when you're not looking.

Let's start with the basics.  Remington ammo is seasonal, but right now it's the season.  Usually, you can find it at places like Cabela's, and some mom & pop stores.  You can also occasionally find it on sites like Midway, Graf & Sons, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc.  If you plan on shooting often, then reloading is the way to go!  Bullets, primers and powder are readily available.  Brass is another story, so if you do get ammo, SAVE YOUR BRASS!  Currently, Graf & Sons just recently started selling brass under their label, although they're now sold out... but I expect they'll have more based on how much they sold and how quickly it sold out. 

Ok, let's talk about your Krag.  I'm sure that you'll find dozens of people here that would love to see some pictures.  Not to scare you, but if it's an 1898, there were only 5000 made and it's absolutely serial number specific!  Has the Krag been sporterized for hunting?  Pictures and the serial number will tell the tale.  There are also a few things you can look for:  What is the barrel length?  It should be exactly 22 inches from the muzzle to the closed bolt face.  Also, is the front sight banded?  The rear sight is also carbine specific, and should be marked as such with a "C".  If you look at the photo page on this site, there are pictures which should help you identify the  rear sight:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Hope this all helps

IP Logged

justbob87
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen! Thanks so much for the welcoming to this forum. I can tell that there are a lot of great people in this forum and I look forward to meeting more and hearing some great feedback. I will be sure to take some pictures as soon as I get home and post them so I can find out more about this great firearm. I appreciate the response on ammo. I will be sure to check those sights as often as possible.

I hope to find out more about this great rifle. This has opened me up into the world of classic firearms and I look forward to learning everything I can. It will not only tell me the history of the rifle, but also the history of my Grandfather and his interests. Thanks a bunch. I will talk to you guys soon!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint