Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
production numbers (Read 2763 times)
cluless
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

production numbers
Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I am probably at this time the newest member of this forum.
Last night i decided to look in the safe and low and behold i found what i believe to be a modified krag. I tired to identify the date of manufacture. According to all i can tell i have a serial number that shouldn't exist.  It says model 1898 U.S. springfield armory.The number is 489448. I cleaned her up and now need to find out how she shoots. I haven't found my military piece for my collection but hope to fill that soon. I would just like to find out what I can about this one.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: production numbers
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 3:36am
Print Post  
'cluless' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

From your brief entry, I am guessing that your model 1898 Krag has been altered from its original military configuration.

Your serial number, 489448, is from near the end of U.S. Krag rifle manufacture. However, there are at least a couple of documented Krags above that number, 497288 and 499036.

Close-up & detailed pictures of your Krag will get you useful information.

IP Logged

cluless
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Thanks for the fast response. I would be happy to provide pics as soon as I get done being frustrated on how to get them to load!
(hard to teach an old dof food new tricks) lo.
I still need an unmolested Krag and a nice trap door to complete my U.S. collection. Never knew how hard it was to find nice rifles on the cheap. So the hunt continues.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Bear in mind that pictures are size limited (based on file size, not dimensions) on this forum. 

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.  As for the As-Issued Krag and Trapdoor for your collection, keep at it... they're out there.  In SE Michigan, they hold a Michigan Antique Arms Collectors Assn. show four times a year in Novi.  There are always plenty of Krags and Trapdoors available at that show, and they prices range from great to ridiculous... but if you don't mind a trip, it's worth it!  Next show is in February FWIW.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
The real buys are at yard and estate sales!  Nothing like a seller that doesn't know what they have or the value thereof!  I recently bought a collectible Noske scope from one such fellow.  It was in a mount with the front ring covering the name.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint