Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
US Krag stock length (Read 3112 times)
gov2mod
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

US Krag stock length
Dec 31st, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Looking thru my empire I came across an odd Krag stock. The length of my other Krag rifle stocks is 46". This Krag stock is only 40&1/2" It has a cartouche of 1899. Up to the rear band it is identical to one of my rifle stocks. The forend tip is just like a standard forend tip only it's moved back 5&1/2" inches. It does not resemble any type of carbine stock, it has the same configuration as a rifle stock, just 5&1/2" shorter. Is this some type of "short" rifle or a very well done bubba conversion?

IP Logged

gov2mod
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: US Krag stock length
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Looking at photos it looks like a Philippine Constabulary Krag stock. If any of you have one of these can you give me the length of the stock?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
'gov2mod' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

My guess on your Krag stock is that it's for a Krag rifle, that was shortened "unofficially", for a VFW Post or fraternal organization 'Drill Team'. The 40 and 1/2 inch length, with adaptation to take a bayonet, would be for a barrel approximately 24 inches long.

A 24 inch barrel was not used on service Krags. However, it was a relatively common 'locally done' adaptation, for 'Drill Team' rifles, to make them more like the 1903 Springfield.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 12:50am
Print Post  
FWIW - I don't have a (22 inch barrel) 'Philippine Constabulary or School rifle', nor, do I have a (26 inch barrel) Board of Ordnance & Fortifications rifle to measure.

However, it is possible to extrapolate the necessary stock length of a Krag for a given barrel length and allowing for acceptance of a bayonet.

Officially made - Springfield Armory Krags display three barrel lengths:

22 inches - Krag Carbine models and Philippine Constabulary & School Rifles adapted for a bayonet.
(School Rifle & PC Rifle stocks would measure 38 inches - OAL).

26 inches - Ultra-rare, Board of Ordnance & Fortifications rifles.
(BoO&F Rifle stocks would measure 42 inches - OAL).

30 inches - regular Krag Rifles.
(Regular U.S. Krag Rifle stocks measure 46 inches - OAL).

A non-official Krag Rifle, with its barrel shortened to 24 inches, would require a stock approximately 40 inches long, if adapted to accept a bayonet

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint