Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
old photo post card (Read 2067 times)
FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

old photo post card
Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:05am
Print Post  
I finally found this old post card, not a whole lot of detail on the Krag. The post card is from my grandfather to his grand parents. The post mark is Feb 11 1911 from Lincoln Neb.
Anything that can be told about the rifle or uniform would be appreciated. My guess he was in a national guard unit away from home for the first time.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: old photo post card
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 4:34am
Print Post  
'FredC' - Your Grandfather looks quite dapper and well turned out in 1911.

The photo is rather fuzzy as posted. Is the collar and hat insignia any clearer when the original image is viewed with a magnifying glass?

Nice detail with the Krag sling on his rifle.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Great picture!  Such history... and to be of your actual family - Priceless!

I think you're right about his being in the National Guard.  In 1911, regular Army would have a 1903 Springfield.  I'm surprised that it has the Krag sling, since the 1907 sling was available for a few years at that point (unless the Guard units kept the Krag slings on the Krags).

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Looking at the insignia on the collar with a 10X jeweler's loupe it could be a NN, not certain though. There maybe a larger version of the same photo else where, my wife is still looking. This grandfather died 10 years before I was born so I do not know much of his history. He was working on the Fred Harvey Ranch in northern Arizona when he died in '43. In his later years he became one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
The original Krag that I have came though him, it was my father's and he gave it to me in his later years. My father was pretty upset when he saw the sporter from my mother's father, my father thought I had messed up the rifle he had inherited. Took a while to convince my dad that his was unmolested.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
"N.N." - Maybe Nebraska National Guard? Great Picture. (His Kepi or Cap style is 1902 model - IIRC).

Your Grandfather's Ammo Belt grabs my attention! It is designed for the 1903 Springfield, but, is in use with the Krag. I suspect it is a system that had quickly become obsolete.

Did your Grandfather live in Nebraska in 1911? State National Guard units were assembled for Annual Encampments (and training) back in that era.

p.s. Kemper (Mo.) Military School Cadets have the same 'web gear' in circa 1913-1914 photo. The Cartridge Belt system appears designed for the 1903 Springfield and 'stripper clips'. (Photo #1)

By comparison, Michigan National Guardsmen in photos from 1903 to 1910 era, still have Mills Belts with individual cartridge loops (photo #2). Michigan Uniform Coats and 'Leggings' appear to be the same style as worn by FredC's grandfather.

I believe, these U.S. Engineers in Britain (1917 - photo #3) have Cartridge Belts like your Grandfather's.

One Conclusion - Those 'suspendered' .30-06 ammo belts are distinctive and were around for a while. They appear in photos at Kemper Military School (with Krags) in 1913-14, and are still found with (Krag armed) U.S. Engineers in 1917.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
I suspect FredC's Grandfather is wearing Mills, M-1903, pattern of cartridge belt and suspenders.

However, I am not knowledgeable about this equipment and do not know the nuances between M-1903, M-1910, and M-1923 types of equipment.

The early 1903 Springfield belts were certainly worn 'high' and look very wide.

(p.s. On further examination, I do not know if the U.S. Engineers, in the 1917 photo, have the M-1903 ammo-belt system hanging on their 'stacked' Krags, or a later 'suspender' type).
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2017 at 12:27am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint