Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Safety question (Read 7858 times)
lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Safety question
Jan 29th, 2017 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
My new to me 1894 Krag came to me without a safety.  Where can I get one and are they hard to install?  The gun works fine without the safety but I would like to have one.  I will be posting pictures of this Krag as I have lots of questions.  One other question.  Is this considered to be an antique firearm and not subject to the gun control act of 1968, as it was made before 1898?  Serial number is 19416.  I checked 2 places and they state it was made in 95 or 96, both before 1898.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Safety question
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum... and to the wonderful world of Krags!  Careful, they are highly addictive...

The cutoff for the FFL rule is around 1/2 way through the 1898 production run (in other words, 1/2 of the 1898s require an FFL to sell or ship). 

Safety levers are available on EBay.  Look for Movieman360.  This is Joe DeChristopher's grandson and he inherited Joes business. 

Love to see some pictures.  Is the Krag sporterized?

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
I checked ebay and movieman 360 is listed as no longer a registered user.  But back to the safety, is it easy to replace, just take the bolt apart and slide the safety on?  I can't figure out why the safety was removed in the first place.  This is a sporterized krag.  It has been drilled and taped.  Pictures to follow, I hope.

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Hope this works.  I need a stock, a trigger guard, and the safety.  Any idea where is the best place to find these items?  This is a barn find, I paid $20.00 for it.  22 inch barrel.  I would also like some info on the barrel band that is on it.  It had a lot of surface rust, that cleaned up nice.  Barrel looks nice on the inside. The scope is a weaver k-4.  I think it was sporterized in the 50's, I would like to bring it back to the 50's and shoot the devil out of it. 

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:15am
Print Post  
The rest of the photos.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 4:44am
Print Post  
'Lendar' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The parts dealer 'psteinmayer' referred you to is actually movieman630.

You appear to have a model 1892 bolt, so you need the model 1892 Safety.

I don't believe a model 1898 safety will work with the earlier bolt-sleeve.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Sleeve appears to be modified so later safety should work

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the correction Chuck... I always seem to get his name mixed up, LOL.  Incidentally, I heard that his "Grandpa's Gun Parts" web site might be back in operation too.

Lendar, the safety was likely removed because it interfered with the scope... a common thing when scopes are used on a Krag.  Easily installed too.  Can you show us a picture of the front sight post where it attaches to the barrel?  I'm curious if that's a carbine barrel or a cutdown rifle barrel with the post re-attached.

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I would like to know about the barrel.  I didn't take the overall picture but the rear sight is long gone.

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  

psteinmayer, I now see why the safety was removed.  You say this was common, I believe you, but find it hard to believe that people would do that and then hunt with a gun with no safety.  I only plan to shoot it off the bench and the no safety doesn't bother me, that much.  My other choice is to remove the scope, install the safety and buy a rear sight.  I think I will try it without the safety.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
There is a safety made for the Krag with a scope, which has the lever offset (can't remember the manufacturer... but others will be able to steer you in the right direction).  Obtaining one of those would be a good option if you intend to continue using the scope.

Chuck?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Buehler made a low scope safety, they show up from time to time on ebay.  There was another made by Walter H. Lodewick of Portland, OR that requires a little notch to be filed in the bolt sleeve.  It was called the Mark II.  They also get on ebay occasionally.  I see a C on his front sight Paul, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a carbine barrel.  We know there's no other 1894 marked carbines floating around.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 3:53am
Print Post  
The front sight base appears 're-mounted' to me.

Maybe it is just the fuzziness of the photograph, but, it does not look like a carbine barrel in the muzzle/front-sight area to me.

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 4:23am
Print Post  
I am sorry, I don't see a C on my front sight.  The front sight is mounted in a small dovetail.  But if you look at the barrel band, the only way it could be on the barrel is to remove and replace the front sight.  I still have no idea what this barrel band is all about.  I have never seen one like it before and would like to know how it is to be used.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 6:56am
Print Post  
No C?  Pixel magic again!  I can't advise you on the band, I get woozy scrolling back and forth through the big pics.  LOL.  Would it go over the front sight sight stud if the blade was removed?  Ok, I scrolled back and forth enough to see it, but I feel some motion sickness coming on!  Looks like it was made to go over the sight with blade still in there.  There ought to be a hole in the stock for it, but I'm not scrolling back forth anymore to try to find it.  The eye was for a dog leash-like swivel for a carrying strap.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint