Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Safety question (Read 7857 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Safety question
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Now that I see how the post was mounted, I can see that it's clearly a re-mount.  I knew that being an 1894, it couldn't have been a carbine originally, but I thought it could possibly have had the barrel replaced with a carbine barrel. 

As Madsenshooter said, the band was installed to allow for a carry sling.  Will it slide over the sight with the eye screw removed?  If not, then it would have to be cut off (if you wanted it removed).

With the rear sight gone, are the holes filled in?  It was common to install the sight screws and then cut and file them smooth to the barrel (my sporter had this done).  If so, they could be removed if you wanted to reinstall a rear sight.  Food for thought...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
It appears to me that your barrel band/sling-stud was slid on the barrel with the front sight base removed.

The band was slid on the tapered barrel until it stopped.

The lugged part of the band was inletted into the Stock. A hole coming up through the bottom of the Stock, allowed the 'eye-screw' to enter the threaded hole of the lug.

(Is your front sight base soldered or brazed in place or just mechanically held in its dovetail)?

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 1:47am
Print Post  
The front sight is held on by the dovetail only.  The barrel band will not come off until you remove the entire sight.  Is it safe to say that the barrel band is not original to a Krag?  So far, this has been great fun, and everyone on here has been a great help.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Your band that slides on to your barrel was improvised by whoever made it a sporter.

The Krag rifle requires that the barrel be solidly held in the stock barrel channel.

If there is nothing dampening the barrel 'whip' the stock will develop cracks, usually behind the magazine 'housing'.

IP Logged

lendar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 4:18am
Print Post  
I forgot to add that the 2 rear sight holes are open and have not been filled.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint