Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1899 Carbine to share (Read 2381 times)
gkkid36
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899 Carbine to share
Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Hi Everybody! This has been a great site to learn about these wonderful rifles. I recently bought an 1899 carbine at auction. Please check out the pictures and let me know how I did. From what I can tell, the stock, sights, and barrel seem correct. Unfortunately, the stock was refinished at some point in time. Also, a previous owner swapped out the original front site blade to something that looks modern and commercial. Lucky for me I found what looks like an original front site blade in a small bag in the cleaning kit compartment. There is no cartouche visible. However, there is a "U" behind the trigger guard. Does anyone know what that is? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

IP Logged

gkkid36
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Carbine to share
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:24am
Print Post  
More pictures.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Looks pretty nice to me.  That sight blade might have been replaced with a commercial beaded blade to make it better for hunting, and they wisely saved the original and placed it in the stock for safe keeping.  Have you shot it yet?

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Very nice find looks to be very complete. But i am not expert, just someone that was duped on an incorrect carbine. You did much better.

Mike W.

IP Logged

gkkid36
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I have. It shoots great! Although the front site blade is almost too big for the front site hood. From my research I think it may be a Lyman site? Does anyone have any idea what the "U" marking means behind the trigger guard?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
That stamp, typical of such very random similar markings, was most certainly applied by someone in the Stocking Department at SA, as part of the production process, but the meaning has been lost to antiquity. There is no reason to believe that it is indicative of any historical usage, for example.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint