Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Unique powder and jacketed bullets (Read 7265 times)
Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Re: Unique powder and jacketed bullets
Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Perfect. Thank you all again! I just placed an order. I'll do as suggested and report back when the weather becomes a bit warmer.

IP Logged

Jim Teague
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
You can use jacked bullets but it is best to use a slow burning power. Go to the web pages of the bullets you wish to buy and you can get the correct power loads. Start at the lowest and work your way up. Do not go over the top load. I am using IMR 4350,
Jim.

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Well the bullets showed up. Neat little wooden crates per each 100. I'm finding I have the same issue with these bullets as I did with the jacketed. When I seat it just in front of the second lube groove, it measures 2.93". Is this still safe to shoot? I'm assuming (probably incorrectly) that since this is a flat nose bullet, if it were a spitzer bullet that would make it 3" and have the same contact with the chamber.

I loaded up a few dummy cartridges to check function and everything is still functioning smooth. I can't seem to find longer lead bullets at all though. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Krag magazines work best when fed cartridges loaded to the same length as original 220-gr. RN military ammunition, 3.08". If cartridges are shorter, we just have to be careful to align the rims in echelon when loading.

For stability, it's normally best to seat bullets with at least one caliber (.30" in this case) inside the neck. Although seating depth has a significant influence on pressure (because it alters the powder space), this will not be a critical factor with the reduced loads dictated by your plain-base cast bullets. Seat to whatever length works best in the magazine and on target.

IP Logged

Flatlander15
KCA Forum Member

If it goes boom and is
plastic free, I like
it

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Thank you for that picture, it makes things much more clear. I was just concerned with possible pressure issues but I now realize with the load I'm using there should be no issues. I've loaded up ten rounds that measure 2.93", they all chamber and feed as they should so I'll fire them off on Monday and report back how they work.

No accuracy testing, I discovered the 1901 front sight is missing the front screw. It's secure but can move with finger pressure. No problem, i'll order one soon. As long as these fire just fine into the 50 yard berm my heels will click. Thanks again to all for the help.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:17am
Print Post  
With commercial cast bullets, you get what you pay for.  Plinking, gong shooting at 100 yards, beer cans or the equivalent, the Acme sort will be fine.  Same for sighting-in.  If you are trying for MOA-type groups you may be disappointed.

With those light powder charges, best results will come if you use the Krag as intended, as a single shot, and elevate the cartridge bullet up to position the powder near the primer before loading.

As a test, you might think about tipping the cartridge upside down before loading into the chamber.  That ought to put the powder right behind the bullet.  Is that a safe test?

Safety glasses!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint