Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Springfield 1898 mannlicher 30-40 krag Ackley Impr (Read 6998 times)
Class86act
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Springfield 1898 mannlicher 30-40 krag Ackley Impr
Mar 2nd, 2017 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Hello and thanks for the add to the forum, I'm looking for info of any kind on a rifle my grandfather left me. I always assumed it was just a custom built krag, however while having a conversation with my younger cousin he had mention my grandfather left him a 250 savage A.I. And had mentioned my grandfather stamped IMP on the barrel. I realized my barrel has the same thing so did a little research and compared a case I fired to a factory 30-40 krag round and sure enough the shoulder is completely changed.  I recently purchased a reloading press and cases and dies, I now realize I have the wrong dies and am going to have to buy a case formed for the 100 cases I bought.  Is it ok that I have been firing non A.I. Rounds through it? And if so is it ok to fire form the other 35 factory rounds I have? Does anyone have any loading info for 30-40 A.I. Or any loading equipment for it that they want to sell?

I will try and post pictures up after work or later tonight if I can.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: Springfield 1898 mannlicher 30-40 krag Ackley Impr
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
"Improved" wildcats (even the rimless ones) were normally designed to permit safe use of standard cartridges. With a rimmed cartridge like the .30/40, it's very unlikely to cause any problems.

There should be no need for any case forming dies. After the first firing in the improved chamber, cases can be neck-sized for re-loading. If A.I. dies are too pricey, get a .308 Win. die set. It can be adjusted to do an adequate job neck sizing and seating for the .30/40 Ackley Improved - or for a standard Krag chamber.

IP Logged

Class86act
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I bought 100 unprimed new cases, so those will have to be resized, Amy more info on using 308 dies? I'd save a bit of money that way.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I do not think you will have to do anything to your new unprimed cases. It would seem to me that your first firing of those cases would be less accurate than your next firing with  fully formed and neck sized (with that 308W die) cases.
I would be inclined to do plinking with the first firing, then more serious hunting or target shooting afterwards.
  After you have fired the cases many times you may need an improved resizing die to form the cases down to size so they chamber easily. Never owned any Ackley improved so I may be all wet.

IP Logged

Class86act
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
So you are suggesting I use my standard 30-40 does and load data for the new cases, fire form them, then reload them with a different die and different load specs possibly? Sadly I do not do any hunting, I however would like to in the future and it would mean the world to me to do it with this rifle.  I've never reloaded before ( at least since I was a little kid helping my grandfather) so I'm just taking as much precaution as I can.  I've read that with the improved case I can load a bit more powder then standard loads however I don't want to cause any damage to the rifle. I'm going to reload with 150gr bullets for 308

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
If that photo is showing a fired case on the left, I have to tell you it was fired in a completely normal .30/40 Krag chamber. There's nothing "improved" about it. Cases for rimmed cartridges are normally made with significant clearance at forward body and at shoulder. You can reload that case perfectly with standard .30/40 dies.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Class86act wrote on Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:48pm:
I bought 100 unprimed new cases, so those will have to be resized, Amy more info on using 308 dies? I'd save a bit of money that way.

As FredC says, there's no need to size your new cases. Just load to normal pressure and fire.

Use .308 Win. sizer as you would a normal neck sizer, adjusting die body up or down in press to size neck only as far as bullet shank will be inserted.

If neck-sized cases eventually expand enough to inhibit easy chambering, .308 (or standard .30/40) sizer die can serve to bump back shoulder a bit and restore smooth chambering.

FYI, here's a drawing of the A.I. cartridge. Note the forward body and shoulder dimensions.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2017 at 9:24pm by Parashooter »  

IP Logged

Class86act
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The barrel is stamped IMP in the same spot as the improved 250 savage my younger cousin has so I'm not sure why he would stamp this barrel if it wasn't actually improved, I'm not arguing with you by any means, just really really trying to make sense of all of this, I'd drive to a range in another state to shoot with one of you guys if you physically seeing the rifle made any difference, at 30 years old I don't have any real friends that reload or know a damn thing about anything other then ar15's. I appreciate the input and am very glad I came across this forum today.

IP Logged

Class86act
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I stand corrected. You are right and I appreciate it, I had to take a second look, it's not the krag barrel that says it. Time to load up and shoot!

IP Logged

Class86act
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 2:56am
Print Post  
The more I look the more I think something is up with this rifle. Today I got 100 unfired cases in, they are definitely different from my case. I wish it would let me upload a picture but the files are too large. There 100% is a visual difference in these cases though.

IP Logged

Hoot
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 11:58am
Print Post  
In the picture you posted, the two shoulders are slightly different to my eye. This happens in my 1896 sporter (and a couple of .303's) as well. My assumption is differing chamber clearances vs. "as spec'ed" case dimensions. Neither case in your pic looks as severe as the Ackley Improved version and you can probably check with a set of calipers and Parashooter's drawing easily enough.

Using new brass, I fireform to the chamber and then neck size thereafter so as not to work the shoulder too much. As was stated above, after a few cycles, you will have to push the shoulder back a smidge (sorry for the technical terms  Wink ) to chamber easily. Annealing is also a good plan along the way.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Class86act wrote on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 2:56am:
The more I look the more I think something is up with this rifle. Today I got 100 unfired cases in, they are definitely different from my case. I wish it would let me upload a picture but the files are too large. There 100% is a visual difference in these cases though.

I think brass manufacturers take a little liberty with Krag and maybe other rimmed cases.  Since these cases headspace on the rim they can give themselves more tolerance on the shoulder which has to be held tight on regular bottle neck cases. Your earlier photo is looks exactly like the before and after I get with Remington brass. I am with Parashooter and think you have a standard chamber.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
I rechambered a friends 98 rifle that had a bad spot on the shoulder to 30-40AI.  We got most of the bad spot out.  We discovered it wouldn't feed the blown out cases!  It would have taken some work on the sideplate and/or receiver in order to get it to.  Just a note for anyone who might be considering the Ackley.  There's a bit more work involved.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:42am
Print Post  
You have not shown us the rifle, but some of the old conversions were A#1 hunting rifles. 

When Ackley "Improved" the Krag case, he shortened the neck and increased the powder capacity.  The ordinary Krag case has enough powder capacity for the unwary to get into trouble.  These are 110+ year-old rifles, NOT .308s, even though the powder capacity is similar.

Use fire-formed cases with just enough neck-sizing to hold the bullet in place.  Stick to ordinary loads only.  The deer, coyote, bear or paper target will never know the difference.

Make up dummies (no powder or primer) using your fired & neck sized cases and new bullets.  Try them in the rifle for magazine functioning before you mess about with load development.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
I appreciate this question, answers given and especially the picture of the fired and unfired cartridge case. I had similar concerns with my sporter since it had a barrel replacement (a 1903 Springfield barrel dated 1/09) before I obtained it. My reloaded cases just didn't look right. I suspected what was going on, but wasn't sure.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
For the benefit of those having trouble understanding the amount of body/shoulder clearance in a normal US Krag chamber, here's a photo showing a fired case and a new case. Note, the difference in shoulder position is absolutely normal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint