Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag rear sight question (Read 1963 times)
Hotrocks
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag rear sight question
Mar 12th, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen, Im new to the KCA.  Back in 1995 my father passed and I was given an 1898 Krag that originally was my great grandfathers.  My grandfather put a Lyman peep sight and Bishop stock on it but left the barrel in its original 30 inch configuration. Sadly the original stock is long gone. My grandfather, father and I bagged our first deer with that gun. Killed like lightning. SN477245. Wanting an original military configuration, about 20 years ago I found one, SN 151711. Stock cartouche script JLA 1899.Snapped that lady up right away. Finally decided to do some research and in Brophys book i noticed the rear sights on both rifles were 1901 type with small aperture hole, "V" shaped sighting leaf notch and windage adjustment bar. The serial number blocks show the earlier numbered rifle to be manufactured between July 1898 and June 1899 while the late rifle was one of the last 500 or so produced -1904. My question- Is the sight on the earlier rifle as issued or was it a rearsenal? Was the 1901 sight issued in 1901? If so its odd to have a 1901 sight on a rifle approved for issue in 1899. Finish and patina match and are consistent and im not planning to change anything. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Krag rear sight question
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Welcome to KCA!

Near the end of their military life, nearly all Krags in service were fitted/upgraded with either the 1901 or 1902 sight. Your later rifle was made with it, the earlier one is a refit. Many of the ones found today with the 1902 sight saw National Guard usage.

477245 is rather late, but not as late as you stated - certainly not in the last 500. I own 482440, and they go even higher than that - 489xxx or so as I recall.

IP Logged

Hotrocks
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for the information. I read on Bowers Firearms Springfield Armory US Krag-Jorgensen Serial Number Ranges that SN477762 was the highest number. Obviously , thats false!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
"Hotrocks" - Dick Hosmer and others have pointed out in the past that 'Bowers' is a terrible resource, when seeking Krag data and information.

BTW - Your 'cartouche' actually reads "J.S.A.". The initials of Joseph Sumner Adams, Assistant Foreman of the Assembling Room.

Following the 1894 death of Samuel S. Porter, (the last man that would hold the title "Master Armorer"), Adams was assigned the responsibility of inspecting all new arms.

The "J.S.A." cartouche appears on most Krag stocks, from SWP's death, until the end of Krag production.

J. S. Adams retired from Springfield on August 20, 1920, at the age of 77. His initials are found on the stocks of some 1903 Springfield rifles.

It is to be regretted that many sources and references misreport his cartouche as "JLA".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint