Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 My Grandfathers' Krag (1899) looking for more info (Read 6185 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My Grandfathers' Krag (1899) looking for more info
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
You have a great family story and your Grandfather's Krag to go with it. (Hey, he batted 1000, as a Deer Hunter)!

My 'Grampa' hunted Deer, Partridge and rabbits, in Northern Michigan, into his 80s.

After his death, I found this license in the cabinet, where he kept his gun cleaning supplies.

I don't know what gun he used in 1916. He only had one gun, for All types of Hunting, in my memory, a 20 gauge Ithaca 'Featherlight'.

But, in the cabinet, I also found a .30 cal. Marble's cleaning rod with his initials stamped on it. I can only wonder what he cleaned with it?
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2017 at 6:22pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: My Grandfathers' Krag (1899) looking for more info
Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
You have a much better trained eye than me Chuck.  I just assumed that it was a cutdown rifle based on the obvious sanded stock that had no sign of a band spring, as well as no carbine sight.  I knew it was within the carbine range, but I thought the barrel looked a little long, so I leapt to a conclusion.  That's why I'm always glad that there are people here who are wayyyyyyyy more knowledgeable than I!

Incidentally, my grandfather (mother's side) hunted pheasant. partridge, geese, etc.  Not sure if he hunted deer or rodents, but he sure fished a heck of a lot!  I have his gun: a 1949 Ithica Model 37 Featherweight!  I shot a half ton of pheasants and partridges, as well as my first (and only) deer with it.  I no longer hunt though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint