Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What's going on with this Norwegian Krag? (Read 1612 times)
sean69
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

What's going on with this Norwegian Krag?
Mar 17th, 2017 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Just picked up a krag sporter (probably) but trying to figure out what exactly it was in previous life.....  here's some pics:

OK - won't let me post pics in my first postt ....  will follow up Smiley

so the popular opinion (on CGN) is that it's a 1894 model cut down... receiver date & serial number support this. 

~however~

The M1894 had a 30" barrel, this has a 22.5" barrel (measured to the bolt face). if that were the case, the step and lug for the sight/bayo lug sleeve would not be there.

- does anyone know if any Norwegian Krags were sporterized in this manner, i.e all the extra machining to add the step and lug, then not use them???

- is that step and lug there actually to accept a nosecap?  The artillery & engineer carbines seemed to have such an arrangement.   (but the date and serial don't support this)

- does anyone know if Krags were modified into carbines around 1912? i.e. could this be a 1894 receiver rebarreled with a 1912 carbine barrel?

A lot of the discussion on CGN was also about an "importer" who imported about 50,000 of these in the 1950s and sportered them.....  anyone have any information on that?

-thanks
-sean

IP Logged

sean69
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What's going on with this Norwegian Krag?
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 1:25am
Print Post  
here are the pics

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

-thanks
-sean

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:39am
Print Post  
'Sean69' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

What is "CNG"?

Your Norwegian Krag, #96915, was built in 1911, as a model 1894 infantry rifle.

It is likely, someone cut-down the Stock and Barrel in North America to make it handier for 'Hunting".

It appears to me that the shortened barrel was lathe-turned to machine a 'step' at the 'New' muzzle.

A piece of the cut off section of barrel, (original muzzle area, including the front sight), was bored out to make a sleeve.

The sleeve was then slid on and soldered onto the stepped area of the shortened barrel. Hence, the 'original' front sight and remains of the bayonet lug.

We have seen such 'salvaged' front-sights before.

You should take and post some pictures of your rear-sight and altered stock.

IP Logged

sean69
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  

CGN = canadiangunnutz.com

yea - one of those guys pointed out how it was done,   the originals had a sleeve mounting the bayo lug & front sight.  they removed that, cut down the barrel, turned it back to diameter to accept the sleeve, cut about an inch off the sleeve behind the sight base and  remounted it.   also somewhere in there they milled off the bayonet lug.

He said that was done in Europe somewhere, whether is was Europe or America - that is what happened.

thanks

butlersrangers wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:39am:
'Sean69' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

What is "CNG"?

Your Norwegian Krag, #96915, was built in 1911, as a model 1894 infantry rifle.

It is likely, someone cut-down the Stock and Barrel in North America to make it handier for 'Hunting".

It appears to me that the shortened barrel was lathe-turned to machine a 'step' at the 'New' muzzle.

A piece of the cut off section of barrel, (original muzzle area, including the front sight), was bored out to make a sleeve.

The sleeve was then slid on and soldered onto the stepped area of the shortened barrel. Hence, the 'original' front sight and remains of the bayonet lug.

We have seen such 'salvaged' front-sights before.

You should take and post some pictures of your rear-sight and altered stock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint