Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
U.S. Krag carbine barrel? (Read 1624 times)
BW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

U.S. Krag carbine barrel?
Mar 18th, 2017 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Soon I will get a chance to examine a loose carbine barrel which an acquaintance has for sale.  I believe that it is a Krag carbine barrel, based on his description.  However, I do not have a known original barrel to compare it to.  Can anyone suggest clues I should look for?  What sort of acceptance marks, proof marks, inspectors marks etc should I look for?   And can anyone give the diameter at muzzle, distance from muzzle to front sight base or anything else that might help me to identify or eliminate it?  Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: U.S. Krag carbine barrel?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:44am
Print Post  
"BW" - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

(Hopefully this will help you confirm if the barrel you have been offered is a real Krag carbine barrel).

The 'loose' barrel should measure around 21 and 15/16 inches in length.

(The 22 inch length, usually mentioned is for a mounted carbine barrel, which also takes into account the distance to the Krag's recessed bolt-face).

The carbine barrel diameter is around .647" at the muzzle.

(But, a rifle barrel also measures about .647" at 22 inches from the breech. All Krag barrels have the same taper. Diameter will not separate legitimate carbine from cut-down rifle barrels).

The front edge of the front-sight base is about .414" back from the muzzle-crown.

The quality of the attachment of the front-sight base to the barrel is the best clue to a legitimate barrel.

The Krag front-sight base is subtly dovetailed, bronze brazed, and blended into the barrel contour. The seam is hard to detect and takes a practiced eye. (A photo is attached).

All Krag barrels (rifle & carbine) are marked with a "P". Usually on the bottom of the barrel, just a bit forward of the Threads. (Photo attached).

There may be letters or numbers on the breech end of Krag rifle and carbine barrels (steel lot, inspection, contractor???).

In summary - The barrel-crown and the front-sight base mounting are the best clues to look at on the offered barrel.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2017 at 4:41am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

BW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: U.S. Krag carbine barrel?
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Many thanks - that is just the sort of information that I hoped for.  I will take along a micrometer and loupe when I go to look at it, and will study the front sights on my infantry rifles to get an idea of what an arsenal job looks like.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint