Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 The Usual---what is it? (Read 9102 times)
buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

The Usual---what is it?
May 12th, 2017 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
It's definiely a sporter, action marked 1897, has the lion and hatchet on the action just below the serial number, and on the bolt.  All s/n's the same, 5xxx, has a whacking great military sight, matching s/n, looking awkward on this rifle, and a ramp front. an absolutely beautiful soft blue job, might be a refinish but a long time ago?
Also has a set trigger that's in beautiful shape.
Barrel military stepped just in front of rear sight.
Major problem is the headspace. Gun shuts on no-go 6.5x55 guage. Checked after bad first shot, of course. Definitely bad chamber.

Questions, I guess. Is this a Steyr factory output as a sporter? Was it made by a 'smith somewhere?  And is there a possibility of an altered chamber to something weird? It's definitely 6.5.
I can try setting the bbl back one turn to fix chambering, have reamer and gauges, but would like to know just a little more before starting out. In particular, are the bbls on these Krags set up as hard as the Swedes or '98 German mausers?
Thanks, all, for reading.
Don

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: The Usual---what is it?
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2017 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
The 'Alterations' were likely done in Norway. There is a strong hunting & target tradition with the Krag in Norway!

Steyr had a contract and produced Model 1894 rifles for Norway, during 1896 & 1897.

Caution - Caution - Caution: Norwegian Krags have a left-hand barrel thread. (Even the ones made under contract by Steyr).

Some pictures of your altered Krag and 'fired' cartridge case will help others help you.

FYI -  early Steyr catalog giving some specs on Norwegian contract rifle.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2017 at 12:30am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
THANKS!!!!!!!I could have messed up the whole project!  Trust my ancestors to be gauche. According to the little table in Brophy's book on the American Krag, the serial number falls in the numbers made for commercial use, made in 1897 and numbered between 3001 and 7500. I'll try to get some pix done.
I also have to get the ejector fished out of the action and re pinned, dunno where the pin went!  Hope it is one of the plain type rather than one with the funky head.

Thanks again for the LH thread info, a real gunsaver!!!!!!
Don

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2017 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Speaking of the one with the funky head, how does one remove it?  My .243 project gun needs an ejector pin.  Do you have any pics of the case you managed to fire?  What it blew out to look like might help determine what it is, a chamber cast might be in order.  6.5x257 Improved might be a possibility, though still a wildcat, one would have been able to make it from more readily available cases than the once hard to find 6.5x55.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2017 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
The 6.5 x .257 versions are all smaller in diameter than the 6.5x55. I think the 6.5 x .257s came about as conversions for the 6.5 Jap.  Same potential problem as making 7.7 Jap from .30-06 cases.  They mostly got away with it in the 7.7 conversions because the rifle actions are strong.  I would not try to convert the .257 or '06 case for a Norse Krag.

There are a couple of larger European 6.5 cases, but would they function through the magazine?  Or did a Norse Ackley-son get his hands on the rifle?

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2017 at 1:27am
Print Post  
There is a 6.5x55 improved.  I know the 6.5x55 is bigger in the head than a 6.5x257 improved, like you said, about the same as the 7.7 situation.  There are a couple versions of the 6.5x257 Imp, with various shoulder angles.   Perhaps differing amounts of case blow out too.  Someone could've done it, some guys just don't have better sense.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2017 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Regular vs this improved.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2017 at 1:44am
Print Post  
I don't know if the OP is a reloader, but what could be done to determine the chambering is neck up a new case to 30 cal, then run the case up into a 6.5 sizing die that has been backed off, slowly lowering the die a bit at a time and sizing the case until the bolt will just close.  The artificial shoulder you've made should keep the head against the boltface.  Load with a midrange load and fireform to see what you have.  Could be somebody has chambered it to an improved version that doesn't share the same datum line on the shoulder, like Ackley's improved versions do.  In that case, the fireforming operation might be needed to make yourself a supply of safe cases.  6.5x284 is also a possibility.

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Here are some pictures, at least I'll try as attachments, the insert image icon has impenetrable instructions...:

The measurements of the fired Steyr case as compared to an UNFIRED case  are:
just forward of the web, near the incipient case separation, .476 vs. .470; approx. 1/2 way to the beginning of the shoulder, .456 vs. .452, and just at the beginning of the shoulder, .437 vs. .432. I think the reamer was simply out of spec?  The distance from ctg face to beginning of shoulder is 1.747 for each case.
The other pictures do not show well that the muzzle end has been cut right at the beginning of the front sight ramp and filed flat, recrowned.

Does anyone know if NOS bbls are available? I did find some for the Swedes on epay, actually installed one that worked well.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
Don

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2017 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I dunno, I'll try to get the rest in here:  Never seen anything as ill-documented. Is there real help somewhere for including pix? I'll cheerfully admit to stupidity to get it right...
Don

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2017 at 12:21am
Print Post  
That is a beautifully done 'sporterized' military rifle. The workmanship definitely appears European (Norwegian) and of good quality.

It would be good to have a 'chamber cast' made, to make sure it was not altered for a different cartridge.

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2017 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
The saga continues  (get it, Norse gun haw) : Here is a picture of the chamber, and a picture of the action just opposite the chamber feature. The action peening was completely hidden by the stock. Took these with my microscope camera.
Evidently, the bbl is cracked, and was "fixed" by an unknown extreme bubba. Next is to remove the bbl and have the action magnafluxed or maybe if anyone out there has an orphan Norwegian barreled action FS, I have all the rest of the parts Smiley

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2017 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Wow! That was close to being a bomb!

IP Logged

buffler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2017 at 4:17am
Print Post  
yeah!  my fingers are crossed, but I am afraid the action is not going to be trustworthy. A pity... Sad

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 29th, 2017 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
For a real challenge, it would make a very interesting .22 rimfire.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint