Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Fake NRA Krag rebuild (Read 2471 times)
Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Fake NRA Krag rebuild
Jun 12th, 2017 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I bought what I thought might be a NRA Krag couple of years ago and then later found a nice honest Constabulary Krag that I love shooting. I'm thinking that I want to src my fake nra carbine. I'm not interested in trying to build an exact copy. The first issue would be the removal of the Springfield front sight and a repro Krag sight installed. Will I have to shorten the bbl to get a correct sight to look right? The nra carbine had what looks to be a krag saddle ring stuck on the surface of the stock, wasn't even inlet. Here's some photos of my donor gun.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Fake NRA Krag rebuild
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Others.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
'Baltimoreed' - It looks like your fake 'NRA' model 1898 Krag sporter has a model 1892 bolt-sleeve and hand-guard. Your Bolt appears to be a model 1898 Bolt and extractor.

The Krag carbine sling-bar and ring were never used on the 'long forearm' stocks. It is a nice $50-$75 part.

Your 1905 Springfield front sight looks neatly done.

If it were my Krag, I would leave it as a quasi-NRA sporter. I'd take the noisy sling-bar off and plug the screw-holes in the stock.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers, removing the ring and plugging the incorrect screw holes was the first thing I did when I got the rifle and realized the sling bar was just stuck onto the stock. Just didn't study the photos that were posted by the seller. I guess that I'll leave it be but what does the 1898 bolt sleeve and handguard look like? And does it matter? Last year I suggested that our CAS club do a Span Am bolt gun match alongside of the cowboy match. We've had several now and everyone brings out their antiques. A few shooters use Krags, I use my Constabulary. I want to try it in another club's monthly M1 Garand match but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the info on my mixed up rifle.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 3:56am
Print Post  
For a fun 'shooter' and function, you do not have to replace your bolt sleeve and hand-guard.

Attached are my photo of a model 1898 bolt and a photo of Krag hand-guard types (from the KCA main page - 'photo tab').

The 2nd hand-guard from the left was used on model 1896 rifles and model 1898 rifles & some 'long forearm' carbines with the 1896 sight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint