Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Help with serial number (Read 3574 times)
wdrhist
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help with serial number
Aug 12th, 2017 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Hello Folks:
I've been a long time visitor and just recently registered as a member.  I'm having an issue with a Krag that I just bought.  The seller made all sorts of claims about the rifle--that he had done extensive research and that SRS and "Mallory & Olsen" identified this rifle as having been issued to the 12th Engineers in 1917 when they were training to be one of the first US units to leave for Europe.  My collection focuses primarily on WWI regiments  so I was thrilled to be able to add this "documented" example.  The seller promised to send copies of the documentation but when it arrived, it was a single page from an SRS volume and it didn't even mention the serial number in question -- 273702.  Now the seller is telling me that he is "sorry" that I'm dissatisfied with the rifle and to send it back.  I am not dissatisfied with the rifle, I'm dissatisfied with the documentation which he said he had and would send.  His reluctance to send the documentation has left me wondering if he really has it or just made up the story about the 12th Engineers out of whole cloth.  So, could somebody either confirm or refute the claim that Krag 273702 was issued to the 12th Engineers?  Thank you for your time and attention.
Most gratefully yours

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Help with serial number
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum, wdrhist.  The smarter guys will be along in a bit.

I did not bring my Mallory book to Africa so I can not help you in that fashion.  I did learn one thing early on years ago from older guys and that is to buy the gun and not the story.  You'll not be disappointed if you buy a nothing gun for cheap then find out it was used by President Washington to fight the Germans when they attacked Pearl Harbor in 1917 and is worth a gazillion Djibouti Francs. 

So...  Got any pics of your Mighty Krag?  Make certain it can not chamber any cartridge except the .30-40.  My first Krag could chamber a .30-06 case.  The seller told me it was an arsenal mod when I took it back to him.  No frickin' way I believed that story because I had found this site and the Jouster forum a couple of months before and had a little knowledge of what to be on the look out.

Culpeper

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Hi wdrhist... and welcome!  You have definitely come to the right place to learn, as I've learned volumes from the folks here!

Unfortunately, (AFAIK) documentation of Krags in WW1 Europe is pretty scarce.  My 1898 is a 1917-1918 veteran and that knowledge comes from the fact that I inherited it indirectly from the man who carried it in France.  We definitely know that they went and served as rear echelon Guard rifles.  Recently, a photo has been reported to have surfaced (I've not personally seen it... just heard about it) that shows Krags in the trenches!  Personally (and I'm certainly no expert), I doubt SRS would even have records of Krags in Europe as by that time, they were manufacturing 1903s and Krags were "off their radar."

Now people, on the other hand, can be quite unscrupulous in their desire to "Make A Buck!"  It's quite possible that he told you the story to seal the deal... and got pissed off that you questioned him.  There are some out there that will flat out lie about a rifle to make a few more pennies (fake 1898 carbines just LEAP to mind)!  I'm not saying he lied... just that he may have embellished or fibbed to seal the deal.  Was the price based on the history, or was the price fair?

The bottom line is, as Culpeper stated, buy the gun, not the story.  You have an amazing piece of history that may have served long beyond it intended usefulness (as has mine).  It hurts no one to think to yourself that you could possibly have a WW1 veteran Krag... and Krags in of themselves are amazing, even without the stories.  The stories just make them more fun!!!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Want to have a little fun? Tell the guy that photocopying a page out of SRS is against the law. Want a little more fun? Send his name to SRS.

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 1:25am
Print Post  
In answer to your original question, your rifle is not listed in SRS records.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Would you mind divulging the name of the seller, for the protection of others?

IP Logged

wdrhist
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Thank you folks!  You have confirmed much of what I suspected.  The guy that listed the rifle on GB goes by the id of "AFAC" and claims his real name is Robert Edwards, 5423 Porterstown Road, Keedysville, MD.  He likes to be called "Col. Edwards."  If you want to take a look at his lengthy description of the rifle, it may still be found here: (You need to Login to view media files and links)
It was a great story and pretty believable.  Before I bid, I confirmed that the 12th Engineers had be issued Krags and that they were one of the first units to be sent to Europe.  I even found a copy of the unit history, History of the Twelfth Engineers and bought it.  There are great pictures and even a few references to the Krags.  One of the most interesting mentions is on page 115, "The Springfield rifles, which had been issued when the old Krag-Jorgensens were taken up after the Battle of Cambria, were now exchanged for the standard British Lee-Enfield rifle in order to obviate any difficulty in ammunition supply should the regiment be ordered into the British front line."  If you search around enough on-line there is even some early motion picture footage of the Regiment parading past King George V with their Krags at shoulder arms.  This parade was pretty heady stuff at the time and they made a big deal of the fact that this was the first time armed, "foreign troops" had been allowed to parade on English soil since 1066.  In any event, since all the details seemed to check out, I believed the guy.  I've been collecting almost 60 years and yes, I know there are liars, frauds and cheats out there, but this guy had over 600 positive feedbacks.  So I trusted him.  I know, I know -- shame on me!  After I discoverd he made up the link between the rifle and the regiment, he said "over the years" he had learned the best way to deal with such "issues" was to return the item.  Obviously this wasn't the first time he had cheated someone.  Let's try to make it the last.
Thanks again

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
What needs to be returned is one third to one half of your money.

If he is selling a gun and a story then he commited fraud on the story part.  I would hunt him down and flatten his four car or truck tires by pulling the valve cores and taping them to the windshield.

...in winter.

...while Christmas shopping.

...on a Tuesday.

Oooo.  That was my inner voice.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
IMHO - The Krag in question, #273702, if the bore is indeed 'minty', is not a bad looking specimen and worth close to the price paid.

What irritates me is the 1/2 truths told by the seller by inferring it was issued to the 12th Engineers.

It is a classic case of "Buy the Gun, not the Story". (The 'story' in this sales venture is: a little bit of gun description, a big piece of blarney, coupled to a factual unit history).

To loosely quote something Dick Hosmer once said: "A Krag with a serial number 'close to' ones documented in SRS Data as being issued to a specific unit, but, not actually in the SRS list, almost guarantees that serial number was not issued to the unit".

(p.s. Culpeper stay away from my car)!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 6:56am
Print Post  
What?  Smiley

I've never done the valve core thing.  Seen it done, though, to a truely deserving rotten SOB.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint