Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sportarized Krag Barrel Overtimes (Read 2752 times)
Robidouxs
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Sportarized Krag Barrel Overtimes
Aug 14th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I have an 1898 Krag which has a cut down rifle stock and shorted barrel.  The barrel current overtimes the receiver, making the rifle unusable.  Does an original Krag barrel have enough of a chamber to support removing a barrel thread to fix the timing on the barrel?  I was told that the previous owner did fire the rifle for many years so I am a little puzzled how the barrel became so loose.  Any thoughts on how the barrel came loose and suddenly times incorrectly?

My other thought is to just try the barrel out on another Krag receiver to see if it times correctly or very close, and replacing the barrel entirely.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Sportarized Krag Barrel Overtimes
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
As a machinist that recently fitted a barrel it is amazing to me that many of the original barrels were timed so accurately that they could be interchanged. Perhaps the original was one that was off slightly or maybe modified.
The previous owner may have not tightened the barrel fully and used Loctite to keep it from moving? if so it may headspace a little large when you index marks and extractor cut line up.
Possible fixes, enlarge the extractor groove till it lines up and install aftermarket sights or get a new barrel fitted. If there is something off on the receiver a regular timed barrel may not interchange.
The barrel tightens against the end on the internal shoulder in the receiver, chasing an additional thread on the barrel and facing off almost .1 inch could make things work again with the sights lining up. The taper on the barrel is minimal, this would add slightly to the metal wood clearance but maybe not enough to notice. The extractor notch will have to bee deepened if you do this.
Check the head space as who knows now if it was correct with the barrel loose or tight.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Thinking about this some more, maybe the barrel band(s) kept the barrel seemingly tight? I can see the barrel threads getting battered with repeated shooting and getting even looser. The previous owner could have had a bubba do some work to it and he did not even know.
I think you are going to need to do some close examination of the threads looking for damage and checking the head space to figure out what to do next.
You might look at this thread and the links within it for some helpful ideas:
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Robidouxs
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:08am
Print Post  
I really think someone tightened down the barrel band just to hold it in place.  Threads on barrel are good, never loctited, or welded to the reciever.  I was able to get the barrel to nearly time correctly on three different stripped receivers, with all headspacing correctly (closes on Go gauge but not on the No-Go gauge).  There is range between 1/64 - 1/16 inch in additional space I could try turning the barrel to fully torque it against the inner shoulder of the receiver since it is currently hand tightened.  The muzzle erosion gauge just barely touches 0.3005 and I noticed the barrel was marked with a "P".  Does the "P" mean anything?  I can only speculate it could mean "Proofed." 

How much torque should I be aiming when torquing the barrel?  Would a Wheeler action wrench work, with universal head, for the Krag?  I have a wood lined barrel holding fixture I used to remove Mas 36 barrels.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I had thought of making a shim with a cut out to miss the extractor but it seems a mickey mouse/bubba solution. If the barrel timed/clocked  correctly on other receivers it would seem the receiver is slightly off. Could be wear caused by the loose barrel or just slightly off when made.
The only Krag barrel I removed was not excessively tight, the tools I used are pictured in the sporterizing howto thread. I have seen pictures of guys really straining with 4 foot cheaters to get barrels off, I do not think many Krags are that tight. So you could probably use the tools on hand.
If the barrel is extra good and you do not mind using aftermarket sights and can enlarge the extractor cut, tightening it to a moderate torque maybe 40 to 80 foot pounds could work.
Others with more experience or welcome to chime in as I am only an expert on the one I have done.
As a trial to see if this idea has any merit go ahead and tighten it up and see how far off the marks it is. Guesstimate 40 lbs on a foot long wrench. Check the head space while you are at it.
Maybe this barrel belongs on another receiver and you get one made a little extra long for this one?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint