Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1896 Carbine (Read 1888 times)
HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Carbine
Aug 30th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum, having enjoyed Krags for years.  I just picked up a (no model) 1896 carbine with little wear, perfect bore, no cartouches.  My question is I've never seen a cocking piece with a 1/4" circular indent on the rear and would appreciate some input.  I know pictures would help but posting them has not been successful and hope for some help there also.
Joe

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Carbine
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Hey Joe... where ya goin with that Krag in your hand!  LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist!  Welcome to the forum!!!

I suspect that your pictures are too big for the forum.  You should be able to reduce the size in Paint, or in another picture editor program.  This is something we really should see to assess.  It's possible that there was some sort of peep installed on the cocking piece, but this is simply a guess (there have been other peeps used on Krags, but they require a dovetail to be milled into the cocking piece.  Never heard of one requiring a hole or indent).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
'HeyJoe' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

After your first post, you should be able to post pictures to the forum. Make sure they are smaller than 768KB.

The 'cocking-piece' on your Krag carbine sounds like it may be one of the 'headless cocking-pieces'.

This was an economy move that proved to be more expensive and was discontinued. It was approved April, 1899, and disapproved October, 1900.

The 'headless cocking piece' appeared on carbines and rifles assembled during the above time frame. (It was once incorrectly believed to be only a model 1899 carbine feature).

It is unlikely it would be original on an 1896 carbine.

Photo - 'Headless' cocking piece on left.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:39am
Print Post  
I think I know what he's referring to.  I have some that look like the cocking piece was threaded on, leaving a bit of an indent on the rear.  Can't find one right now of course but I have one somewhere.

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks;  I think I found the answer as madsenshooter suggested.  In Poyer's book he says (p136) the firing pin was screwed into the cocking piece which was then peened over.  Given enough imagination I can almost see the same on the top photo on p140 and the drawing on p281.  Had just never noticed one like it before. 
Now I need to learn posting photos.
Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint