Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Local Boy's 1896 sight has me stumped? (Read 2412 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Local Boy's 1896 sight has me stumped?
Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
A while back, 'Local Boy' posted pictures of some loose sights he picked up at a local Gun Shop.

I was so focused on the two model 1901 carbine sights, with repaired leaves, that I overlooked his hybrid model 1896 sight. Today, it caught my eye.

It is basically a model 1896 rifle sight with a model 1896 carbine slide on it. (Note the 'step-down' to the "V" notch).

However, the binding-screw knob has me puzzled. I have not seen one like it, that I can recall. It is small in diameter and appears to be 'serrated' rather than 'knurled'.

Anyone recognize it or have opinions?

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Local Boy's 1896 sight has me stumped?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
The slide notch depression, the notch itself, and the slide cap screw ALSO look hinky to me - I think the entire slide, save perhaps the basic member, is bogus - but do not have any idea as to the source.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Betting the original screw was lost or broken and the one pictured was either an improvised replacement.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Hey maybe it was a "Made-on-Monday" rear sight!

Kidding aside, the sight is superbly manufactured like something I would expect from Springfield.  Nothing like the bad reproductions of other things I've come across.

Great observations butlersrangers... Anybody in need of a 1896 carbine slide?

Cannot find any representations of the the serrated knob any where.  Guess I'll keep looking.

IMHO, If it is a replacement knob... They sure did a good job.

Slide does not slide as easily as my other 1896 rifle sight.  Wonder if its because it's carbine slide on a rifle leaf.

I'll post more pics if necessary to solve this mystery.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Perhaps the original knob went MIA, and someone did like a Lt. Colonel friend of mine did.  He took his 1901 sight that was missing the binding knob to a watchmaker to have the 1903 binding knob he had purchased installed.  In this case however, could be the watchmaker supplied the knob.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Local Boy's - 1896 carbine slide top-plate and "V" notch looks correct to me. Maybe the 'binding-screw knob' was a large knob that someone reduced in diameter and then hand filed serrations on.

I'd like to see some close-up photos of the back part of the slide.

In regards to effort in moving the slide:

There should be a small coil-spring trapped between the slide top-plate and its back. The spring presses on the inside edges of the sight leaf. If the spring is absent or broken, it will effect the effort involved in moving the slide. Burrs or a bend in the leaf will cause some binding.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
"Straight" knurls are very common in shop catalogs, my guess is that is what the person making the replacement knob had on hand.
  Forty years ago when I made my trigger, I had bought a replacement trigger from a well known supplier and it was cast iron junk, did not know there was such a large supply of original parts available. The knob was probably made during such a time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint