Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 and this is why i reload (Read 10475 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: and this is why i reload
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 12:46am
Print Post  
As for manuals, I have several editions of Hornady, as well as the Lyman 49th edition, and LEE and Nosler loading data.  If you're loading cast, Lyman has great data for cast bullet loads.  But when loading standard jacketed bullets, the Hornady 9th and 10th editions are my BIBLE!!! 

By the way... as for your 5.56 guys, there are a lot of people out there who will tell you that if you're not using Dillon (only the most expensive stuff), you're wasting your time.  To that I say, listening to someone tout Dillon... or any brand for that matter... would be "Wasting My Time!"  I only make suggestions for using LEE because it's inexpensive for beginners.  I mostly have LEE because I'm not rich, but I do also have Hornady and RCBS dies and equipment, and they all work great!  The bottom line is:  Buy/use what YOU are comfortable using!!!

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 10:33am
Print Post  
+1 on Paul's advise
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #17 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Sep 24th, 2017 at 12:46am:
By the way... as for your 5.56 guys, there are a lot of people out there who will tell you that if you're not using Dillon (only the most expensive stuff), you're wasting your time.  To that I say, listening to someone tout Dillon... or any brand for that matter... would be "Wasting My Time!"  I only make suggestions for using LEE because it's inexpensive for beginners.  I mostly have LEE because I'm not rich, but I do also have Hornady and RCBS dies and equipment, and they all work great!  The bottom line is:  Buy/use what YOU are comfortable using!!!

And if you are comfortable hefting a seventy pound single stage press then get a CSP-2 to reload your krag brass.  I use the included adapter for my RCBS dies.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Of course, some days I get a real work out with my reloading time. Shocked

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
You do not need fancy stuff & may be able to do OK at the right estate sale.  I still use the Herter's press (really a Pacific) that I bought the year after I got out of high school (1959). I switched to RCBS dies because the Herter's were lemons. I bought the $12 shell holder adapter from RCBS.  I still use the same scale I bought back then, although I have an electronic job.  I have an old B&M powder measure from the 30s. It works better than the new ones. I decap & prime with an old Lyman tong tool.

One at a time, one step at a time, and look at the powder level in every case before the bullet goes in.  Good loading blocks are an investment.  You are loading for an old rifle using one of the best cartridges ever made for handloading.  Nothing fancy and never, ever go for the hottest loads.

Old loading books & manuals will tell you more about Krag loads than newer manuals.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
AMEN!!!  You said it brother!

IP Logged

Dads Krag
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
reincarnated wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
You do not need fancy stuff & may be able to do OK at the right estate sale.  I still use the Herter's press (really a Pacific) that I bought the year after I got out of high school (1959). I switched to RCBS dies because the Herter's were lemons. .

I'm interested in knowing what was wrong with the Herters dies. I am using Herters dies I picked up used some years back and it seems that I am having concentricity problems with some of the resized cases. I have the dies backed of to only partial resize.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
IMHO - Some of the Herter's Dies, I've seen, were roughly machined and heavily plated. The workmanship and precision were not the equal of the Lyman, R.C.B.S., C&H, and Lee Dies, I am use to.

That being said, the Herter's Dies and Presses were very inexpensive at a time when U.S. Reloading Equipment was very expensive.

I have a Herter's 6.5mm bullet seating Die, with an open 'side-window' that I like to use for making 6.5mm Swedish Mauser ammo.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Some Herter's dies were OK, others were not.  I don't think you can generalize.  They may have been rejects or low-end contract stuff from some other company.  I don't think Herter's made anything except fiberglass boats & such themselves.  Everything else was made elsewhere and George Leonard Herter put his name on it.  My Dad called him George Leonard Hotair.

I have Herter's dies in .30-06 that are OK and a set of 6.5 Jap that are so badly off that I have used them when making .220 Swift into 6mm Lee Navy.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 5:48am
Print Post  
The huge Herter's Catalogs made for great bathroom reading. There were some real Non-PC lines in the text.

I think their single-stage presses and reloading Dies came from the Ruhr Valley of West Germany.

As 'reincarnated' states, products were contracted with manufacturers and had the Herter name put on them. BSA made some bolt guns and J.P. Sauer made some Western style revolvers for Herter's. Quality of goods was variable!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
The non-PC statements were great.  I recall that one said "The Virgin Mary said" that something was one of her favorites, but I no longer remember what it was. 

I always thought my Herter's C-press was a Pacific because it is the same size as an example I have seen, but it could well have come from West Germany.  No markings on it except the Herter's name.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Bottom line is, if those Herter's dies are giving you trouble (and they very well might), then use them as paperweights and get a set of LEE Pacesetter dies.  Good entry level and excellent quality.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint