Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Question on Krag Barrel Proof Markings (Read 1843 times)
Kragster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Question on Krag Barrel Proof Markings
Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone. I joined this site because I have been infatuated with 30/40 Krags since I was old enough to hold a gun. Growing up we had my Great Grandfathers Krag around the house, and I have owned a few over the years. I recently acquired an 1898 with a 22" barrel and a sporterized stock. I am very familiar with "BUBBA" guns, and even though the stock has been altered, this one just makes me think maybe it's not been altered. Okay here's my question: at the breech of the barrel at approx.9 o'clock is the P, at 3 o'clock an alignment line, and underneath at 6 o'clock a sunburst-asterick-starburst type proof-mark. That's where I am lost, with the bottom mark. Could someone please let me know what that stands for? Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Question on Krag Barrel Proof Markings
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
A photo might help. The "P" and Index Mark on the barrel are normal and understandable. Also, there is often a funny squiggly mark or symbol that may have once served to identify the steel supplier.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:18pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Kragster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply. I am not a savvy computer guy, and I can't figure out how to post photos on this site. It keeps telling me my image is too big. Anyway I am going to continue to try and get an image posted but I used a jewelers loop to see it clearer and it looks like two X's over top each other at different angles within a circle with 2 dots outside the right side of the circle. Again thanks for any help you can give and I'll work on getting the photos posted.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Photos need to be below 768KB to post.

(I edit my photos with Microsoft Office and reduce ones that have a lot of mega pixels, by downsizing them for documents).

IP Logged

Kragster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I tried quite a few times and can't get a photo to post correctly. I'll get a lesson from my Mrs. and try to post a photo soon. Anyone who may have an idea on what that mark is I would appreciate any info. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint