Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Proud owner of Krag 1898 Springfield! Question (Read 5785 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Proud owner of Krag 1898 Springfield! Question
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
'DanBlue' - That is a mighty pretty model 1898 Krag. You did very well getting a very legitimate example at a great price.

If it didn't have some slight bumps and abrasions, it would be a 'Safe Queen' and you would feel guilty about ever shooting it.

IMHO - You got the best of both worlds - A beautiful Krag to display and one that's OK to Shoot!

Your Krag has the model 1902 rear-sight (my favorite). It is thought that Krags, so equipped, likely saw National Guard service. Krags used in the regular Army, after 1905, likely were equipped with the model 1901 sight. (At least that's the 'folklore').

Krag rifles saw a lot of use in the U.S. Army until 1907-1908. They served a longer role in the U.S.N. The 1903 Springfield did not immediately replace the Krag.

Krag rifles saw a lot of use during WW1 in 'U.S. Training Camps'.

I checked the Springfield Research Service tables, that Frank Mallory published in "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition. #471478 does not appear in the researched records. This is probably good, because the listed numbers close to it were destroyed in 1929 at the New Cumberland, Pa. Depot.

(p.s. The small #58, on the Stock, to the rear of the trigger-guard, is a Stocker or a Stock Inspector's mark).

IP Logged

DanBlue
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Proud owner of Krag 1898 Springfield! Question
Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the details butlersrangers! I was wondering what that #58 might be.  Well, I'm certainly excited to own the rifle & learn as much as I can about these guns...Now the problem is, I want more of them!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint