Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Removing a front sight (Read 3621 times)
timmholt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Removing a front sight
Dec 5th, 2017 at 7:11am
Print Post  
I've recently acquired an older family Krag that's been cut down, and I'd like to replace the front sight back to something original at least in looks.  But first I need to remove the old one in the attached picture.

This is a cut down sporterized one, so I'm fairly confident there's no dovetailing, etc. and it looks to have solder on the base so I assume just soldered on.

I've looked at a few references to just cooking the thing off with a torch, which looks pretty straight forward.  However I don't have a hot one to really get it red, just propane.

If it is silver solder and takes more heat to get it off, would it be unreasonable to actually grind down most of the metal mass of the sight, so that the propane torch could maybe get more heat to the remaining metal?  Does that make sense at all?

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Removing a front sight
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Before you take that one off you need to figure out what you will replace it with. An original Krag sight will a real project. Butlers Rangers has posted a photo of an original barrel with the sight base unsoldered revealing the dove tail.
The dovetail cutter that was used is long lost as far as dimensions and such. A cutter would have to be custom made. Then the real work would begin.
A front sight adapted from the 1903 Springfield is seen often so it would not look too out of place.
If you have access to a milling machine the existing sight base could be milled to resemble an original Krag if care was taken to not knock it off during machining.
There were other after market sights made back in the Krag's heyday that you might be able find today.
Others with advice will want to know what rear sight is on the rifle.

IP Logged

timmholt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks FredC

I actually was looking at the Springfield front sight approach as the simplest solution, or possibly one of the reproductions soldered on if I could mill the bottom to match the curvature of the barrel.

I do have access to a mill - sort of.  It's at work in an open shop, but the (very very large high tech) company has a "no guns on site" rule.  I could definitely take in a site base and do a little work on it and not cross that line, but taking in a barrel I'm not sure about. 

It's crossed my mind just to mill up my own replacement site base like the one attached to this post, and as mentioned, solder it on.  I just would need the dimensions of one.  Or yea, just buy a replacement - they aren't that much in a way.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
If you can buy a replica like the one in your posted photo cheap, that sort of makes it easier to do a real duplication of the Krag sight. You would still need the mill, and a barreled action is probably too much like a gun to keep you honest.
The other way would be to purchase the krag replica and measure how much needs to be milled off the bottom. Then modify the sight at work. There are several ways to generate the radius needed to solder the base to the barrel. It would not be as strong as the armory method but probably good enough.
The attached photo shows an instruction manual and a sample Weaver mount that I made.
In case you have not found the photo of the Krag barrel with the sight removed (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

timmholt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I'm assuming mine has been cut down and no dovetail. It's a Model 1898 with SN is in the mid 400,000 range, so made some time in 1902/1903 I think.  I haven't taken a caliper to it yet to get the barrel diameter at the front sight, but that would somewhat answer my question.

BTW I need to make my "introduction" post at some point I guess Smiley  I'm very new to the Krag thing, but have been having a blast the last few weeks researching what I can to know what I've got.  I got a copy of Joe Poyer's  book, as well as the smaller Ian Skennerton "booklet", both of which have been useful.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Dimensions for the front sight dovetail does exist somewhere... as Criterion machines the dovetail into their Krag replacement barrels.  Now whether they would share the information or now is another matter.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
"timmholt' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You should be able to 'test' the bit of solder that is showing with the tip of an ice-pick or awl. If it is soft, it is Lead Solder. Some local heat with your propane torch will do the job.

Judicious work with some small Files can give you the flat and dovetail 'under cut' to position an S&S Firearms repro front-sight base, like the one you pictured.

Out of curiosity, how long is the remaining barrel on your 'cut-down' Krag?

FWIW - Until you have the replica sight base, I don't see a lot of point in worrying about dimensions. Everything will be related to the finished size of the sight-base.

IP Logged

timmholt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Ah good point, it would be pretty soft and easy to tell with a sharp point, I'll give that a try.

Rough dimensions are overall length 43", and the barrel is 24".   A couple more pictures attached, including the SN, and rough stock configuration.  Still need to get a nice set together.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
'timmholt' - Since your Krag is extensively altered for 'Hunting' purposes, (with cut-down barrel, re-shaped stock & added pistol grip, and dovetailed barrel-mount rear sight), an armory type front-sight will do little to make this Krag look more original. - IMHO

You might be better off just putting a nicer appearing 'Sporting Style' front ramp sight on your Krag. These are currently made in the 'solder-on' configuration and older style 'banded-ramps' show up on ebay and at gun shows.

You now have a solid model 1899 carbine barrel band on your Krag. I can't tell what is keeping it in place, except friction.

FWIW - A regular Krag rifle barrel-band, with clamping screw and sling-swivel, might be a better arrangement for shooting and carry.  The rifle band would not require any alteration and would just replace the carbine band, which is designed to be held in place with a flat-spring on the right-side of the stock tip.

Since this is an old family hunting rifle, you just might want to leave things as they are and enjoy it as a 'shooting heirloom'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint