Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Need help with carbine ID (Read 2826 times)
jarheadljh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need help with carbine ID
Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Hi all brand new here.

Around year 2000ish I picked up a Krag carbine from an antiques dealer because it was in the movie Rough Riders. I have one box of ammo through it and have stripped it down about ten years ago to check for below the woodline pitting and didn't find any.

It looks like an 1899 carbine.  The receiver is dated 1898 with a serial# starting 310XXX which according to Bowers puts the manufacturing year at 1901.  There are n car touches on the wood. There are two fills in the stock where it looks like after-market sling swivels had been installed but I think somewhere along the line someone refinished the stock.  Where one cartouche might have been seems to have sanding marks.
So just what have I got?
EDIT:
see photos \/ below \/
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2017 at 4:44am by jarheadljh »  

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need help with carbine ID
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 3:10am
Print Post  
It is a cut down rifle. No 1898 carbines in that serial range. Is the sight marked with a C anywhere and does the leaf go to 23?

IP Logged

jarheadljh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Nope.  The only thing that could possibly be considered a c is on the front barrel band, which looks more like a horseshoe, The sight is only graduated to 2K, not 2300. Was planning on hanging it on a wall but I might need to sell it soon.

(You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jarheadljh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 4:43am
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links)  (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links) (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jarheadljh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 5:04am
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Have been going off of this guide, but this thing doesn't seem to conform to any single one of them, The 1899 carbine can in fact have an 1898 receiver, but it should have an overstrike on the "8" with a "9'". On the other hand the front band is wrong for a 1898 rifle, as is the rear sight I think.

To add a further wrinkle:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

M1898 CARBINE 5000 MANUFACTURED

M1898 CONVERTED CARBINE 3000 MANUFACTURED

M1906//1899 CONVERTED CARBINE, PHILIPPINE CONSTABULARY 5002 MANUFACTURED

M1899 CARBINE FIRST MODEL, 1896 9000 MANUFACTURED

M1899 CARBINE SECOND MODEL, 1898 16000 MANUFACTURED

M1899 CARBINE THIRD MODEL, 1901 2000 MANUFACTURED

I am genuinely stumped. I got the gun almost 20 years ago and I'm not entirely sure what it is. The closest guess I have is that it is an 1898 rifle converted to an 1899 carbine.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:31am
Print Post  
'jarheadjh' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It would be highly questionable that Krag, #310218, was assembled by Springfield Armory as a carbine. It appears to be a mixture of rifle and carbine parts that someone, (surplus dealer, gunsmith, or hobbyist), has put together.

It is likely your action would have originally been used for a model 1898 rifle, assembled around January or February, 1901.

In the Springfield Research Service data (SRS) that Frank Mallory included in 'The Krag Rifle Story', 2nd edition, model 1898 rifles, #310210 and #310228, were issued January 15, 1907, to the U.S. Naval Academy.

Since your rifle's number is not listed in SRS, it is unlikely it went to the USNA.

It does appear that your Krag now wears a real carbine barrel and stock.

Your Stock appears to be a heavily sanded carbine Stock of the 1899 type. The forearm tip has been shortened and reshaped.

The barrel-band is the 1899 carbine type. The "U" on the band is an assembly aid. It goes on the right-side of the Arm.

Your rear sight is a rifle sight.

Your front sight base appears Armory installed on the barrel, but the blade is installed backwards.

IMHO - No mystery here. It is a put together 'parts gun'. It should be a fun shooter.

p.s. - Bower's is a terrible Krag reference source.

IP Logged

jarheadljh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
So shooter grade with mixed parts.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Maybe it's just me... but something looks suspicious about the end of that barrel, almost (at least to me) like the barrel finish doesn't match starting just behind the sight post.  In addition, there's that odd blotch on the side.  Perhaps the sight post was welded or brazed on and the end of the barrel was overheated.

Just an observation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint