Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
VFW / American Legion Krags (Read 3062 times)
BW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

VFW / American Legion Krags
Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:31am
Print Post  
In the past many veterans' organizations obtained Krags from the government for use by parade honor guards etc.  I understand that some of these rifles were given free and clear, but others were given as loans with the expectation that they would be given back if they were no longer being used. Even if they were given to the organization, they presumably belonged to the national organization, not the members of the particular chapter that held them.  Over the years this little detail was undoubtedly forgotten in many cases, and many of these Krags wound up in private collections.  Does anyone know how to find out if a Krag being offered for sale still actually belongs to some veterans' organization, or to the government?

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: VFW / American Legion Krags
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:50am
Print Post  
If it's being offered for sale by someone, then I doubt if it is on a government property list that is a going concern to anyone alive today.

IP Logged

BW
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
The only reason it even occurred to me to wonder is the number of times someone has told me of  a Krag that "my uncle / father / neighbor got when he was in the VFW." I have even read the same thing on this forum.  It might never have occurred to the seller that things were not strictly on the up and up, or the rifle may have changed hands several times and the original story been lost.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 1:54am
Print Post  
I have purchased or have been given some old milsurp rifles over the years directly or indirectly from veteran or similar organizations. Almost always these rifles were stored for decades in closets, ignored, neglected or outright abused by their lack of proper care or respect they deserved. In each case, I have disassembled, cleaned, fixed and used the rifles in the manner they were intended. I have, therefore, resurrected these treasures back to their stature they deserve.

So, if you have any chance of getting one from whatever legal source, take full advantage and do what's right by the old workhorse. You most likely will be treating it better than it has been treated for many years.

Getting these old rifles and giving them respect the way we do is a great way to preserve history and learn military history at the same time!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I know there were several Krag rifles that found their way into private collections when the local American Legion got their 03s and then Garands.  I'm not sure they have the 03s anymore, come to think of it, and I don't if they were distributed the same way or not when the Garands arrived.  The Garands got stolen a few years back and some meathead boys decided to try to cover their crime by burning the Legion Hall.  I'm not sure how many were recovered, but know of a few that one brother sold.

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 3:38am
Print Post  
My grampa bought his from the American Legion post in North Kansas City in 1924. He paid $2.50 for it.
So, some American Legion members were allowed to purchase surplus rifles from the Govt. thru The American Legion.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)[/URL]
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2017 at 4:07pm by Fred G. »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint