Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Krag Bolt Lug Inspection (Read 10968 times)
JChannum
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Bolt Lug Inspection
Dec 13th, 2017 at 3:08am
Print Post  
New guy here. Not really new, I have been kicked around for quite a while. I joined a couple of years ago and have been lurking since. I have two sporterized Krags, a rifle and a carbine and thoroughly enjoy shooting cast in them.

In addition to older firearms, I have an assortment of older reloading manuals. Many mention the potential failure of the Krag bolt lug and recommend inspection before shooting. My question is how to go about this. Is a simple visual, perhaps with magnification sufficient, or should the bolt be magnafluxed or some other means be used?

Jim H.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Bolt Lug Inspection
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Hi.  Welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, cracks are usually evident with the named eye.  Back when the problem arose as a result of the Army trying a different hotter round in 1898, there was no magnaflux inspection.  The cracks were discovered visually.  As long as you stick to established pressures and stay away from max loads, you should never have a problem.  If you're concerned however, have your bolts checked by a competent gunsmith... one who KNOWS about Krags!  How about sharing some pictures of your Krags?

IP Logged

JChannum
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that information. That was my suspicion, but the confirmation is appreciated. I am a fairly competent mechanic/gunsmith as long as I know what I am looking for.

With the current problems with photo sharing, I am not set up for photos at this time. The carbine was a rather derelict sporter conversion with a semi-inletted repro carbine stock that someone had started to install. I managed to undo most of the damage and finish the job in sporter form, less the handguard with a  Lyman peep sight. The rifle has a Fajen stock and side mounted scope.

Jim H.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I don't have one... but I know someone else has a picture of a cracked bolt lug, and it's fairly obvious.  Chuck, do you have the picture?

Sounds like you have a couple of decent sporters.  I'm betting that the semi-inletted repro is a Boyd's.  They are fairly notorious for being nightmare project stocks that require a ton of work to fit and finish!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Here's some interesting reading regarding the strength of a Krag action.  This test was performed many years ago, but speaks to the safety of the Krag design.  This is, however, in NO WAY stating that one should throw caution to the wind and purposely load Krags beyond max!!!

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Well, that was ill,,,,,,,, Lips Sealed. Another one lost.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Sadly, Michael Petrov passed away in 2014.  But he did a plethora of research on several different arms, including the Krag.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
There is so much written about US Krags only having only having one locking lug and inspecting the locking lug it would make us all paranoid.
My cat is awful jumpy because when he is outside, he has to avoid coyotes, coons, rattlesnakes, bigger house cats, bobcats and mountain lions. Being paranoid helps him survive, not necessary when shooting a Krag when using reasonable loads.
If Michel P had not done that research we would all be flinching wondering if the next time we pulled the trigger this old weak Krag is going to blow up in our face. And I am pretty sure Michael did not use an pristine original Krag.

IP Logged

JChannum
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:12am
Print Post  
I remember seeing that thread by Michael now. I seem to recall he did something similar for the low numbered Springfield too.

I doubt my stock was a Boyd's as those I have seen are usually of better quality. This one looked like the duplicator incorporated an axe and a Dremel grinder somehow. FWIW, I still have the upper handguard if anyone is interested in it for shipping charges, they are welcome to it. It is just the wood, no clips or rivets.

Jim H.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
The Krag bolt really has three lugs, the front lug and two safety lugs, provided by the  'guide-rib' and the bolt handle root.

The case rim seals gases from a case split or separation from getting back into the action.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Butlers Rangers, I agree that it has 2 very strong safety lugs, but you would never know it when you read any description of Krags in reloading manuals. Every one I have read seemed to imply you needed to worry because of the single lug.
On my sporter the forward lug is worn and set back enough from many rounds being fired that it actually bears on both the forward lug and the guide rib. I can not prove it but I have a feeling this has happened on a fairly large percentage of the US Krags out there.
So if your locking lug has no visible crack, your headspace is with in reasonable limits do not worry, be happy.

Just a reminder it has been discussed on this forum that some reloading manuals have had loads that are unreasonably heavy. A new shooter of Krags has to be aware of what safe loads are and avoid the bad recommendations.

IP Logged

Hamish
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
All the more reason to shoot cast at moderate velocity.  The shooter likes it, the rifle likes it,,,,,,,,

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
A lot of 'Sportered' Krags had their front Bolt Lug lapped so that the Guide Rib would make contact with the receiver. This was done in the belief it made the action stronger. In some cases it introduced excessive Head-Space.

This is likely corrected by neck-sizing only.

IP Logged

HeyJoe
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
If in doubt, and its of no collector value, and you want to feel comfortable shooting it just use an old tire, tie it to it and a string to the trigger.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I have not seen a Krag Bolt, (personally), that had an obviously 'cracked' Lug.

I recall seeing a picture, on the internet, of a lug with a crack, visible at the rear base of the Lug, where it meets the bolt-body. (I do not have a copy of this picture).

I have seen at least one bolt that had a 'seam line' on the bolt-body. It ran on a 'curve', from the lower-rear corner of the bolt-lug past the bolt's ejector groove to the 'Bolt-Face Flange'. The Bolt belonged to a friend and he wisely replaced it, before shooting his Krag. We could see and feel this Line with a fingernail, but, we could not visually tell if it was the 'surface skin' hiding an underlying fracture or simply a surface irregularity left during manufacture (unlikely - IMHO).

Attached is a picture of a 'fractured' Krag bolt that recently sold in a batch of parts on ebay. (I was unsuccessful in my bid to get it).

The picture may be indicative of one way a Krag Bolt-Lug might fracture. (I imagine the broken or 'sheared' bolt section remained in the action until the bolt was opened. I would believe there had to be and indication the Lug was failing, before this complete separation). 
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2017 at 8:55pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint