Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Re: Fake, Refreshed, or just me? (Read 2518 times)
Century2
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Re: Fake, Refreshed, or just me?
Feb 15th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
'madsenshooter' - Thank you. Life has been a bit crazy for me lately and I have not logged into the forum for some time. Didn't get to the range at all in 2016 and only twice last year. The second time with two that have the new CMP barrels! I still favor the earlier 1898 models prior to mid-1899.That said, I have decided to liquidate a bit of my "modern" collection by starting on the bottom – ya, my family has been at this for a long, long time. I've got a 1903 issue that is in virtually un-issued condition; I suppose the boys would cry fake on that one too? I have/had several stocks that have cartouche echoes which I feel is most appropriately assigned to a bouncing die after it is slammed with a mallet; surest way to tell a stock hasn’t been sanded in an arsenal refinish in my opinion. Many of the folks that are bidding on my wood have bought one or more of my stocks previously. I must have sold some 50 stocks over years, you think my feedback would be sufficient? You’ll be interested to know that both of my new CMP-barreled Krags are in glass-bedded & extended stocks; one of those stocks are the “Bobba’d” one that came back to me from you with my dad's action (it had a beautiful cartouche)! Regards, “The Seller in Chicago”.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Century2 - I regret having started this thread and casting aspersions on the authenticity of the 'markings' on the handsome Krag stocks that you were selling.

I was off-base and apologize. I hope no harm was done and that you can forgive my ill founded suspicions. (I removed what I could of this thread).

A lesson has been learned. Excuse me while I go get another piece of 'humble pie'.

(p.s. - 'Century2' - I have always learned and profited from your contributions and posts on the KCA Forum. I made some faulty assumptions when I started this post. I guess its been quite a while since I have seen nice 'original finish' wood appear on ebay).
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2018 at 6:05pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
This could have been a good discussion on cartouch fine points but went in a different direction.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint