How do I change the safety on a 1898 Krag

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Safety
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2018 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
'rljohnson2' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The model 1898 (and model 1896) Safety-Lever is held in place on the Bolt-Sleeve by a spring-loaded pin. This pin is housed in the Safety-Lever and travels in a groove on the Sleeve.

FWIW - It is easiest to remove the Safety-Lever if you first field strip the bolt.

Using a small bladed (jeweler's) screwdriver, the pin can be pressed into the Safety-Lever. It can then be pulled out of the Bolt-Sleeve.

I use a small plastic mallet to 'wedge' the screwdriver into place and then lightly knock the Lever free. (The pin is difficult to compress fully, but, the rounded tip acts like a ball bearing and completes the task).

(p.s. - Dick Hosmer has pointed out in the past that a lot of us have had to learn by studying parts, reading manuals, and 'by doing'. This dis-assembly method has worked for me. Others may have a better way. Most of us have made our share of mistakes. It is all good fun).
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2018 at 2:57pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 12:44am
Print Post  
BTW - Re-assembling the Safety to the Bolt-Sleeve can be tricky. I use an awl to push the spring-loaded pin into the Safety-Lever.

If the pin is pushed in far enough, the Safety-Lever can be inserted into the Bolt-Sleeve and will hang up on the shoulder of the 'domed' tip of the pin. The awl can be removed and the Lever lightly tapped into place on the Sleeve with a plastic mallet. A bit of lubrication helps.

(p.s. - The Safety-Lever, pin, and spring are a unit. They are not intended to be taken apart. The same goes for the Magazine Cut-Off Lever).
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2018 at 2:53pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

rljohnson2
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks I will try that. I bought a krag that had a broken safety. I got a new one but cannot get it in the groove.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Are your old Safety and new Safety alike and resemble the one in my pictures?

If you definitely have a model 1898 Safety, try lubricating the pin with solvent or CLP. 'Work' the pin a bunch of times to loosen up old hardened grease and ensure proper movement.

Sometimes the model 1892 Bolt-Sleeve and Safety find their way onto a model 1898 Krag ... or ... Possibly your replacement Safety is a variation of the model 1892 Safety?

The model 1892 Safety is different and retained by a cross-pin.

IP Logged

rljohnson2
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Yes I do have the 1898 Thanks

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Removing the late-style safety can normally be done without tools.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Look closely at the groove in which the "spring spindle" rides and you should see a small section of the rear flange that has been milled off to form a ramp. With the firing pin removed, we turn the safety thumb-piece to the vertical (12:00) position, aligning the spring spindle's rounded end with the ramp, and pull the safety off the sleeve using only bare fingers. I find a little wiggling (11:00 to 1:00) helps.

Or, as expressed in the "Description and Rules . . ." -
"11.To remove safety lock, turn it vertical and strike the front face of its thumb-piece a light blow."

Reinstallation does require a tool. The same source provides a useful suggestion -
"TO ASSEMBLE AFTER DISMOUNTING.
1.SAFETY LOCK.—Introduce the point of the tang of a small file, or any tool of similar size and shape, between the thumb-piece and the spring spindle, thus compressing the spring and forcing the spring spindle into the thumb-piece; insert the safety lock spindle in its hole in the sleeve, the thumb-piece being held vertical, push the safety lock forward, gradually withdrawing the tool."

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Thank you 'Parashooter' for citing the references and explaining 'the built in ramp' on the bolt-sleeve and the technique.

I always thought that 'bevel' was due to wear. I learn something new every day!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint